Monday, Sept. 23

sports volleyball

‘It’s like a jet engine’: Indiana volleyball feeds off home crowd, propels to victory over Notre Dame

volleyball_092224

Down 21-15 in the fourth set, it looked like the University of Notre Dame was going to force a fifth and final tie-breaking set. But if anyone could give the Hoosiers some hope, it was senior setter Camryn Haworth. 

Haworth recorded an ace and forced Notre Dame to dive for numerous saves, resulting in a 9-0 run. Her efforts helped Indiana rally to secure the victory in its final non-conference game of the season. 

“She’s been hot and cold for the first nine matches,” Indiana volleyball head coach Steve Aird said postgame. “That was the first time I saw Cam go full Cam.” 

While Haworth’s serving was crucial in the comeback, Indiana’s overall performance wasn’t without flaws. Putting the ball in play has been an ongoing challenge for the Hoosiers, recording 17 errors in the match. However, Notre Dame also struggled, committing 14 errors –– seven of them in the fourth and final set. 

After being swept by the Fighting Irish on Friday in South Bend, the Hoosiers were determined to close their tough non-conference schedule with a victory. To do so, they had to regroup and rediscover their style of play. 

“I feel the way we played Friday was not the way we actually know how to play volleyball,” sophomore middle blocker Ava Vickers said. “It was exciting that this was the first time this year that we felt that we played Indiana volleyball.” 

Indiana typically thrives at home, and that continues to hold true as the Hoosiers remained undefeated at Wilkinson Hall at 5-0. Sophomore Ramsey Gary says she sometimes can’t hear her own thoughts during the game. It may be even worse for opponents. 

“When this building starts going, it's like a jet engine,” Aird said.  

Indiana’s defense shut down Notre Dame’s crafty offense Sunday. The tips that were the Hoosiers’ kryptonite Friday were ineffective this time, as the team recorded 55 digs. Gary led Indiana with 15 digs, while junior outside hitter Candela Alonso-Corcelles and Haworth each contributed 14. 

After Notre Dame stifled Indiana’s fast-paced offense Friday, the Irish struggled to contain junior outside hitter Avry Tatum and Alonso-Corcelles on Sunday. Tatum led the Hoosiers with 15 kills and Alonso-Corcelles added 14. 

The Hoosiers’ defense stopped the Irish at the net, recording 13 blocks to Notre Dame's 10. Vickers’ leadership showed in blocks, leading the team with six. 

“Ava’s always ready to go,” Aird said. “She plays a unique brand of volleyball.” 

With Indiana finishing non-conference play, it now starts Big Ten play out west. The Hoosiers will face two of the new teams in the Big Ten –– Washington at 10 p.m. Friday and Oregon at 8:30 p.m. Saturday. 

Follow reporter Parker Rodgers (@parrod153) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.