Tuesday, Sept. 17

sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer unable to break down Buckeye defense in 0-3 loss

spiuwssidebar091224.jpg

Indiana women’s soccer has been off to a strong start this season in the offensive half, featuring 14 goals in its last two games and offensive player and freshman of the week awards for forward Layla Sirdah.  

However, the offensive momentum was not carried into Thursday’s match, as the Hoosiers lost 3-0 in their first Big Ten game of the season. This ends a dominant run for Indiana at home, as the loss marks its first home defeat since Oct. 20, 2022, and drops its record to 5-1-1. 

The Hoosier offense was not able to consistently generate chances throughout the game and were stymied by a strong Ohio State back line. Indiana was only able to generate seven shots during the game, with just three landing on frame, which were saved by junior goalkeeper Molly Pritchard.  

The Hoosiers handedly lost the possession battle and turned the ball over consistently due to Ohio State’s unrelenting pressure, which included putting two defenders on the ball when Indiana held possession in the corners of the field.  

Senior defender Sydney Jones was a standout player for the Buckeyes, erasing opportunities on the left wing while turning defense into offense on counterattacks. Jones looks to build off her 2023 campaign where she earned second team All-Big Ten honors. 

It appeared the Hoosiers were beginning to break down the Buckeye defense more in the second half, but their chances didn’t materialize into quality shots. Senior midfielder Hope Paredes appeared to be the Hoosiers’ only hope of getting back into the game, with two consecutive shots in the second half that were narrowly saved by Pritchard.  

The Hoosiers haven’t been the only team struggling to find the back of the net against Ohio State, as the Buckeyes have allowed just three goals in seven games. 

An unlucky aspect for the Hoosier offense was two potential handballs in the penalty box ruled to be non-handballs after official review. Indiana head coach Erwin Van Bennekom believed Indiana did not deserve to win but was frustrated by the VAR rulings from the officials, as he believed it had a significant impact on the game. 

“They went through all of these different explanations on why it wasn’t a handball, but to me it was clear as day,” Van Bennekom said. “We could’ve had two and didn’t even get one.” 

Van Bennekom also talked about set pieces as an area of growth for the team, as the Hoosiers were not able to turn many of their set pieces into scoring opportunities. 

“I think it’s something we need to get better on, whether it’s the delivery or the runs,” Van Bennekom said. “It’s not just the initial header or set piece, but what comes after.” 

The Hoosiers will look to get back in the goal and win column in their second Big Ten match against UCLA on Sept. 19 at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Follow reporters Sam Elster (@samelster1) and Matt Rudella (@mattrudellaIDS) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.