Thursday, Sept. 19

sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer to face UCLA for the first time

spiuwspreview091824.jpg

For the first time ever, Indiana women’s soccer will host UCLA at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Bruins were in the PAC-12 since 1928 and have never before matched up with the Hoosiers on the pitch.  

However, now that they entered the Big Ten beginning this season, the matchup between the two historied programs is set for Thursday.  

Indiana is coming off a disappointing 3-0 loss to No. 17 Ohio State in its conference opener on Sept. 12. Despite the loss, the Hoosiers looked more alive in the second half led by senior midfielder Hope Paredes who gave them two solid chances on goal, but it was too late for the Hoosiers to make a comeback after they missed crucial opportunities. Senior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg grabbed nine saves on the night and recorded a single-game record of most saves for the program.  

UCLA (6-2-1, 1-0 Big Ten) is coming off a 2-1 win at Oregon where freshman forward Jordan Geis drew a game-tying penalty kick in the 80th minute and then scored the game winning goal in the 83rd minute. Geis then earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week for her play. Its two other losses came against Pepperdine University on Sept. 1 and University of Kentucky on Sept. 8. 

The Bruins average 17.9 shots per game with junior forward Bridgette Marin-Valencia and senior midfielder Emma Egizii leading the team with two goals apiece on the season. Marin-Valencia also has two assists with six points as she leads the squad.  

The Hoosiers average 19.7 shots per game as freshman forward Layla Sirdah leads the team with six goals, five assists and 17 points over just seven games. Behind Sirdah is sophomore midfielder Kennedy Neighbors, who has three goals for the season. Gerstenberg is staying strong between the pipes and has an 80% save percentage thus far.  

Both teams played against University of Tennessee already this season. For Indiana, it was the season opener where it hosted the Volunteers and won 1-0 courtesy of Neighbors’ game-winning goal early in the second half.  

When the Bruins played against Tennessee, they drew 0-0 and were led by graduate student goalkeeper Ryan Campbell, who made a season-high six saves in the game. UCLA also outshot the Volunteers 16-7 in the matchup but still finished the game in a draw.  

Now, for the first time ever, the two programs will face each other on the pitch. The Hoosiers seek to make a statement win against a ranked opponent while the Bruins look to take a hot start early in the game.  

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Thursday at Bill Armstrong Stadium with coverage on Big Ten+.

Follow reporters Sam Elster (@samelster1) and Matt Rudella (@mattrudellaIDS) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.