Tuesday, Sept. 17

sports women's soccer

Indiana womens soccer freshman forward Layla Sirdah earns two Big Ten honors

spiuwsbrief091024.JPG

Indiana women’s soccer freshman forward Layla Sirdah earned Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week and Big Ten Freshman of the Week, according to a release from the Big Ten on Tuesday.  

During Indiana’s game against Lawrence University on Sunday, it seemed as if every shot she took found its way into the back of the net. Sirdah scored four goals in the Hoosiers’ 9-0 victory. She also scored one goal on Sept. 5 against University of Evansville 

“It's always a great thing to score and build that confidence,” Sirdah said postgame Sunday. “We have really good team chemistry and a really good team environment. I definitely couldn’t have done it without them.” 

Sirdah tied Paige Webber’s record from Sept. 10, 2023, for the most goals scored in a match. The freshman’s performance against Lawrence guided the Hoosiers to tie the most goals and points in a single game since 1998 with nine goals. Since joining the program this season, Sirdah has thrived in her role as an attacking offensive player for the Hoosiers.  

Indiana wrapped up non-conference play on Sunday and Sirdah finished the portion with 17 points, six goals and five assists. The freshman has found her way in the program early on as she ranks second in points and goals and is tied first in assists for the Big Ten.  

The Hoosiers begin Big Ten play against Ohio State at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

Follow reporters Sam Elster (@samelster1) and Matt Rudella (@mattrudellaIDS) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.