Tuesday, Sept. 24

arts arts iu auditorium iu auditorium

IU Auditorium to present ‘Les Misérables’ Sept. 24-29

entlesmis092924.jpg

A national Broadway touring group will perform “Les Misérables,” the critically renowned  production,  at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 24-26 and 8 p.m. Sept. 27-28 at the IU Auditorium. There will be a matinee at 2 p.m. Sept. 28-29 with a closing performance at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 29. 

This production, presented by Cameron Mackintosh, has been praised as "Les Mis for the 21st Century." Set against the backdrop of revolutionary France, the renowned musical  recounts a timeless story of love, sacrifice and redemption based on Victor Hugo's acclaimed 1862 novel of the same name. 

Hugo’s novel reached wider popularity with its numerous film and television adaptations, eventually becoming a hit musical in 1980. 

"Les Misérables" follows former prisoner Jean Valjean on his journey toward redemption, crossing paths with various individuals all striving for their own, sometimes conflicting, dreams. The musical has become a mainstay of musical theater since its original premiere. 

This production brings three IU alumni back to Bloomington: Andrew Mark Maughan, Josh Norton and James Moore. Norton plays the trumpet in the orchestra while Moore serves as the tour’s music supervisor. Maughan plays the Bishop of Digne in the musical.  

Maughan, who has performed in the show over 1,300 times, said that despite the period setting of "Les Misérables," the musical still appeals to modern audiences with its themes of strength and perseverance. 

"It's been around for 37 years, and I feel like in today's day and age, we still need a show that's about redemption and survival,” Maughan said. “The rebellion, the fighting for masses, education for everyone, more access to healthcare — these things are still relevant today." 

Maughan said that the Bishop’s ability to inspire reform in Valjean exemplifies the power of kindness and forgiveness in real life. In Act One, after the Bishop offers food and shelter to a desperate Valjean, Valjean robs him and attempts to flee before being caught. Instead of turning him into the authorities, the Bishop forgives him and allows him to keep what he stole to make a better life for himself.  

"I've played the Bishop in 2020, and playing the Bishop and Valjean was a huge highlight,” Maughan said. “Valjean's journey is incredible. He changes his whole life because one person was kind to him. That moment, where he's given a second chance, is beautiful. I love that moment."  

Tickets for “Les Misérables” are available for purchase on the IU Auditorium website.