Sunday, Sept. 22

OPINION: Simple policy changes have big impacts on saving time and money

oppolicychanges091224-illo

Some days life can feel inconvenient and overwhelming. While critical concerns about our world can weigh us down, sometimes it’s the little things that cause big headaches. Routine tasks like navigating utility companies’ AI phone trees, unreasonable junk fees when buying concert tickets or even airline delays and cancellations can be time-consuming, stressful and costly. Luckily, though, there are new policy initiatives that may get rid of these inconveniences. 

The strain junk fees can have on people's wallet 

Excessive junk fees, those surprise costs that show up on your bill unexpectedly, have been an issue in many industries for a long time. A prime example of these ridiculous fees is Ticketmaster, which has had a monopoly on concert tickets for years. In the ’90s, Pearl Jam filed a suit against Ticketmaster over its pricing and business practices. 

These fees and other issues took the spotlight again at the height of the Taylor Swift Eras Tour frenzy. Many fans complained about the additional hidden charges that are difficult to understand, selling tickets at inflated prices and the crash of the website when buying tickets. Some fans of Swift also took matters into their own hands and sued Ticketmaster themselves. 

These fees cost us time and money. It is frustrating to use a system that doesn’t work and be forced to pay extra for it as well. However, after these companies testified in front of the Senate, some companies, such as SeatGeek and Airbnb, volunteered to be more transparent with fees. 

While Ticketmaster-Live Nation did agree to start showing all fees, it is not doing anything to explain or get rid of them. The Department of Justice is suing to break up its monopoly. This could have a big impact for music fans, by improving competition and lowering costs.  

The cost of family seating and strain it puts on travelers 

Another change being implemented is banning airline junk fees and extra costs for family seating. According to the United States Department of Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, “The proposed rule would ban airlines from charging excessive junk fees to assign seats for a young child (age 13 or under) next to their parent or accompanying adult.” Airlines would also have to disclose “clearly and conspicuously that passengers have the right to fee-free family seating.” 

Buttigieg has called on ten airlines to ban these junk fees. So far, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Frontier Airlines and Jet Blue Airlines have done so. 

These fees can often be very costly. The Biden administration estimates these changes could save families $200 per trip.  

The stresses of AI phone trees on consumers 

Another issue being addressed at the federal level is AI phone trees. When all you want to do is reach a human being, it can seem impossible and take forever when getting trapped in these AI phone loops. There is good news on this front as well, according to Neera Tanden, U.S. President Joe Biden's domestic policy adviser. 

Tanden said in a Reuters article , that some federal agencies may make it easier to reach a real person, without having to navigate a lengthy phone tree.  

These seemingly small inconveniences don't really happen by accident. They have huge financial consequences,” Tanden states. 

Since I moved into my new house, I’ve been on the phone with my fair share of robots. The phone tree is meant to streamline you to the relevant department. However, it is a clunky process that makes the task much worse. Dealing with the endless loop is a nuisance, and it increases your anxiety before you get to talk about your issues with an actual person. 

These daily challenges cause inconveniences and cost us time and money. There shouldn’t be hidden junk fees for tickets. Families should be able to sit together on a plane with no added expenses, and we should reach a human being when we call a company on the phone.  

These aren’t partisan issues. They are issues that can be solved by our government working together to improve our daily lives. It’s a positive development that this work is now being addressed. Hopefully, there will be more practical policy solutions in the future.  

These policies can’t be passed without everyone's help. Something we can all do is write or call our representatives and encourage this small but essential legislation to be passed through. 

Jack Davis (he/him) is a sophomore studying journalism.