Tuesday, Sept. 24

OPINION: We need more teachers in public office

opteacherspolitics091924.jpg

Recently, Governor Tim Walz of Minnesota was introduced to a national audience as Vice President and Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris’s running mate. One specific strength the Harris campaign has highlighted on the campaign trail is his prior experience as a teacher. When he speaks, Walz even sounds like your favorite teacher. He is plainspoken, cares about people, knows his talking points and can tell a good joke. It made me wonder if we’re missing out on a hidden treasure of teachers who could be fantastic politicians and government leaders. 

My first question was, what makes a good teacher? I thought of some of my favorite teachers over the years and compiled a list of their best qualities. The three characteristics that stand out to me are being collaborative, communicative and good listeners. In theory, this should also be the backbone of a good politician. 

These skills are critically important in our government leaders. Like teachers, politicians must communicate complicated and challenging topics with a wide variety of people with different backgrounds and perspectives. Collaboration is vital in the classroom and in Congress, though we don’t see much of it between the major parties anymore. Maybe if, like a talented teacher, politicians would listen more to one another and work together, perhaps we could solve more issues in this country. 

Politicians should also be willing to learn and change their stances when new information is introduced. She Should Run a nonprofit committed to electing women to public office states, “As times change and resources grow, the ability to not only teach others but also continue to learn themselves is critical for both teachers and elected officials.” 

The primary goal of a good leader is to inspire and influence people. This can apply to teachers and politicians, and it helps demonstrate why teachers can develop into strong and effective political leaders. Forbes states, “It’s about casting a vision so clearly that people get behind it with the best of their talents, abilities and strengths.” This leadership is necessary for politicians and teachers. My favorite teachers, both in high school and college, are those who bring their subject matter to life in a clear way and make me interested in learning more. 

Education is also at the heart of many political issues. Over the years, the classroom has become more politicized. EdSurge states,From book bans to discussions of gender identity and legislation about what can be taught or said in a classroom — many teachers feel vilified.” Teachers have had to manage gun violence, mental health and a pandemic all while working for not enough pay. And, as EdSurge also says, “It’s the people who get fed up who tend to see politics as that next step as well.” 

Tim Walz isn’t the only person who follows the teacher-to-politician pipeline. Other notable teachers turned politicians are Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and former president Lyndon B. Johnson. All these teachers-turned-politicians have made big impacts. 

Teachers are meant to improve our lives for the better. We’re supposed to look towards them for guidance. The best teachers have empathy to share with the students they teach. They are allies, coaches and mentors. Politicians should try to do a better job mirroring this. Unfortunately, in the last couple of decades, it has felt like politicians in Washington and in our state houses have forgotten the public service part of the job. Maybe more teacher-turned-politicians can help turn this around. 

Teachers are an important part of our lives and work every day to help us toward brighter futures. While it’s not always the case, politicians should, in essence, do the same. Teachers understand that the most important thing is our youth and our future. We need more of their knowledge and skills in our politics and leaders. As Walz said at the Democratic National Convention in August, “Never underestimate a public-school teacher.”  

Jack Davis (he/him) is a sophomore studying journalism.