Monday, Sept. 23

PRESS RELEASE: 70 Years Post-Brown: Looking to the Past, Transforming the Future

Screen Shot 2024-09-23 at 11.22.18 AM.png

This press release was written by Ruth Aydt for the NAACP Monroe County Branch.

Bloomington, IN, September 23, 2024 – The NAACP Monroe County Branch 3062 is proud to present a special event, "70 Years Post-Brown: Looking to the Past, Transforming the Future," commemorating the landmark Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education and examining its impact on today's education system and civil rights movement. In the Brown decision, the Supreme Court declared racial segregation in public schools unconstitutional.

This community event will take place at 3pm on October 13, 2024, at The Monroe County Public Library Downtown, 303 E. Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington, IN. Distinguished scholars, community leaders, educators, and advocates will come together to explore key themes, including the legacy of school desegregation, the role of activism in education reform, and the path forward to ensure all students have equal access to quality education. Attendees will engage in insightful panel discussions and interactive activities focused on transforming the future of civil rights and education or all.

The gathering will offer a reflective space to assess the progress made and the challenges that remain in the pursuit of educational equity and social justice. "The event is not only an opportunity to look back at the progress made since Brown, but to critically examine the work we must continue to do," said Jim Sims, President of the Monroe County NAACP. "Our mission is to inspire a new generation of leaders committed to advancing equity in education and beyond."

The event will be free and open to the public. For more information, please visit the event website. Join us as we honor the past, engage in the present, and inspire action for the future.