Friday, Oct. 4

PRESS RELEASE: Traditional Arts Indiana Celebrates Indiana Heritage Fellowship Winners, Apprenticeship Pairs 

press-release-filler.jpg

The following is a press release written by Tanjina Milee for Traditional Arts Indiana.

(BLOOMINGTON) Traditional Arts Indiana will celebrate the Indiana Heritage Fellowship Award winners and Apprenticeship Program pairs on Friday, Oct. 4th at a ceremony in Bloomington. Traditional Arts Indiana (TAI) was established in 1998 and is a partnership between Indiana University Bloomington and the Indiana Arts Commission (IAC). TAI is dedicated to expanding public awareness of Indiana’s traditional practices and nurturing a sense of pride among Indiana’s traditional artists.   

“At the Traditional Arts Indiana award ceremony, we celebrate the future of traditional arts in Indiana and honor the potential of those who are stewarding these crafts and musical practices for their communities into the next generation,” Jon Kay, Director of TAI said. “The Indiana Heritage Fellowships honor the amazing accomplishments of these tradition bearers who have devoted their lives to the practice, promotion, and presentation of their traditional art. The recipients are recognized leaders in their home communities and have shared their talents with their community for decades.”    

The Indiana Heritage Fellowship Award recognizes traditional artists who have made outstanding contributions to their artistic traditions. The award honors an individual’s lifetime achievement within an art form that is rooted in community life in Indiana. The Indiana Heritage Fellowship Award Winners honored this year are Kwan Y. Hui, a lion dance teacher from Carmel; Larry Haycraft, a hoopnet maker from Ottwell; Stephen and Nancy Dickey, old-time musicians from Paoli; Helen Kiesel, an accordion player from Haubstadt; Dick Lehman, a Michiana Potter; and Danny Tippmann, a Miami knowledge bearer in Arcola.   

In addition to the Indiana Heritage Fellows, TAI will honor the culture bearers and their apprentices who participated in the TAI Apprenticeship Program. This distinct program supports the continuation of cultural practices throughout Indiana, enabling apprentices to learn essential knowledge and skills in traditional art forms from key tradition bearers. Apprenticeship teams will be on hand to show their work and share their talents with attendees, starting at 5:00 pm.  This program is supported by funds from the Indiana Arts Commission, Indiana University, and the National Endowment for the Arts. The artists leading our apprenticeship teams include:    

Sam Bartlett (Bloomington), Mandolin  

Tony Dickerson (Indianapolis), Black Quilting   

Joe Rice (Elwood), Glass Blowing   

Marlene Gaither (Georgetown), Rag Rug Weaving   

Emily Guerrero (Fort Wayne), Día de los Muertos Culture and Traditions   

Pi Hniang Ki (Southport), Chin Weaving   

Natalie Kravchuk (Bloomington), Ukrainian Pysanka Writing   

Denzil McKim (Lanesville), Wood Chain Carving   

Shaomin Qian (Carmel), Chinese Seal and Stamp Making   

Jim Smoak (Salem), Bluegrass Banjo   

Becky Sprinkle (Bedford/Mitchell), Old-Time Music and Jamming   

Pi Nah Sung (Southport), Chin Weaving   

Peggy Taylor (New Harmony), Weaving   

Sr. Jeana Visel (St. Meinrad), Iconography   

Jannie Wyatt (Fort Wayne), Quilting   

"It is a privilege to support Traditional Arts Indiana in this celebration of Indiana’s traditional arts and cultural heritage,” said Miah Michaelsen, IAC Executive Director. “The Indiana Heritage Fellows and Apprenticeship Pairs demonstrate the rich fabric of Indiana’s creative community. Indiana is a stronger, more vibrant state thanks to the contributions of our artists and culture-bearers.”    

The Apprenticeship and Indiana Heritage Fellowship Award Ceremony is free and open to the public and will be held this Friday, October 4th, 2024, from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM ET in Maxwell Hall at Indiana University, Bloomington.