Tuesday, Sept. 17

PRESS RELEASE: The City of Bloomington Invites the Public to Volunteer at the Community Paint Day for the Duke Substation Walls

city of bloomington (!)

The following is a press release written by Desiree Molina for the City of Bloomington.

Bloomington, Ind. -  The City of Bloomington is inviting members of the community to participate in the Duke Mural Community Paint Day on Sept. 28 from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The event is at the Duke Energy Substation located at the northwest corner of W. 11th St and N Rogers St. Participants will help create the first mural in a series planned for the substation walls.

Up to 150 volunteers can register in advance for 75-minute shifts throughout the day to paint the mural. Volunteers are required to sign a waiver ahead of time, as walk-up participation is not permitted on the day of the event. No prior painting experience is necessary, as local artists will guide participants during the process.

Duke Energy, a sponsor of the project, will provide free t-shirts to volunteers. A reception to celebrate the contributions of both artists and the volunteers will be announced at a later date.

The mural design represents a collaboration among three local artists, each contributing their distinct artistic styles to create a unified work that emphasizes community togetherness.

Project Background

The City of Bloomington, in partnership with Duke Energy, announced a new public art project to place murals on the Duke Substation walls located at the northwest corner of W 11th St and N Rogers St. Due to the size of the structure, this mural project will be carried out in multiple installations. This mural will be the first of five to be installed. For each of the five installations, a group of artists will be selected to develop a mural design that reflects the general theme of the project. Duke Energy has given a grant of $25,000 to support this project.