Wednesday, Sept. 18

arts community events

Bloomington’s LGBTQ+ community gathers for Pridefest 2024

entpridefest091524.jpg

Music filled Kirkwood Avenue as crowds gathered to celebrate Bloomington’s eleventh annual Pridefest this sunny September Saturday. 

The street was decorated with pride flags and signs as well as dozens of local vendors and booths selling handmade arts and crafts or advertising local resources and organizations that serve Bloomington’s queer community.  

Local Bloomington bands such as WIND, Emma Periodt, and The Matriarch performed on stage and as the sun began to set, the main event, the drag performances, had everyone on their feet, clapping along to the set and cheering for each performer. The show was emceed by drag artist Pat Yo Weave and showcased the talents of local drag performers such as Oliver Closeoff, Juniper Peron, Peter Von Teaser, and Desiree Bouvier. Performer Verna Vendetta even performed a number parodying Bloomington’s own Ken Nunn.  

Artists took the stage as people gathered around, and performers would step off stage and dance on the street amongst the crowds of spectators, weaving in and out and commanding the space.  

Bloomington Pride takes place in late August or early September, when students will have returned to campus after summer break. Having a city-wide celebration of Bloomington’s LGBTQ+ community can be an important outlet for new students who may not have pride festivals in their hometowns, or who are joining an accepting community for the first time, IU senior Rin Maas said. 

“It's always so touching to see specifically freshmen here who may have come from a family or an environment that wasn't super accepting, and they come here, and they see all of this for maybe the first time. And it's just such a welcoming environment,” Maas said.  “I think it's really important to have that, especially in a college town where you may be getting out and exploring yourself for the first time, kind of being on your own, getting out there.”

The festival is a community affair made possible by a team of volunteers who work to keep the day safe and enjoyable for everyone. Anna Marie Bonds, a volunteer at the festival, shared how important it is to have Pride in Bloomington.  

“Bloomington is kind of a blue dot in a big red state,” she said. “Indiana is not very gay friendly, and unless you're living in Indianapolis, sometimes it feels like there's not a lot of opportunities for stuff like this.”

“To have it here and with all the students here, definitely feels like it's like making Bloomington a more welcoming place. Especially for people not from here,” Bonds said.  

Earlier this year, anti-trans legislation such as SB 480 came into effect, which prohibits medical providers from providing gender-affirming health care to transgender youth. 

Olivia Thurston, a pride attendee from a small town in Ohio, came from out of town to visit a friend, and said the festival felt more intimate and welcoming than some pride festivals in bigger cities. 

“(It's been) more personable compared to Indy Pride,” Thurston said. “There's a lot more commotion than Indy pride but this is just more people our age.”

Her friend, Dusty Harshey, echoed that she felt the smallness of the festival aided in its intimate community feel. She said having pride in a college town could be an important space for students who may be looking for LGBTQ+ community since coming to college. 

Pride is an important event for Bloomington’s LGBTQ+ community to gather in celebration.

For Maas, pride is about uplifting both your community and your sense of self.

“It’s a celebration of who you are,” Maas said.