Friday, Sept. 27

arts food

COLUMN: Tips for college students on how to become a smarter grocery shopper

entsmartgroceries092524-illo

Everyone dreams about the luxuries that come with living on your own in college. You can stay out as late as you want and eat whatever and wherever you want. This sounds great in theory, until you check your bank account. Most people aren’t prepared for the treacherous task of grocery shopping in college, but you might feel a bit more prepared after reading the following tips. 

Aldi 

For those who prefer to use minimal effort when preparing a meal, Aldi is the best grocery store. Whenever I'm feeling lazy and craving a nice meal, I take out one of my favorite pre-made Aldi meals. You can find a wide selection of prepared foods at Aldi, varying from salad kits to barbecue pulled pork. The best part is how inexpensive the prices are. Many of its pre-made foods are under $8, and its selection of pre-made calzones are under $3.  

You can buy bundles of meat for a good price as well. It sells four pounds of chicken cutlets for less than $10, a great price for those cooking for one. My favorite foods to buy from Aldi are the honey barbecue chicken wings and charcuterie board essentials. Whenever I’m in the mood for a good charcuterie board, I stock up at Aldi. It has a great assortment of meats and cheeses, but I especially love the fig and black sesame artisan crisps. Aldi is the perfect size for a quick grocery run because it’s much easier to navigate than your typical supermarket.  Next time you plan on shopping at Aldi, just make sure to bring a quarter to get a shopping cart and a couple of reusable shopping bags.  

Kroger 

Bloomington has a generous amount of Krogers available for college students. Not only is this a cheap option, but it’s very close to campus as well. The Kroger on College Ave. is only a short walk from downtown. The best thing about Kroger is how much you can save when shopping there. The Kroger Plus membership is a big game changer because it lets you purchase groceries on sale. Every time I go to Kroger, I end up saving at least $20 worth of groceries. Kroger is also my favorite place to stock up on sweet treats. I recommend trying its brand Private Selection, as it sells a wide variety of tasty desserts at Kroger. I like to buy Kroger’s ice cream, which offers around 30 different fun flavors. I’m not usually a big fan of macarons, but I've also started to like the Private Selection brand macarons. I love how they are the perfect mix of sweet and savory without tasting too rich. Stay updated on Kroger’s brands, current deals and the Kroger membership on its website before your next grocery trip.  

Walmart 

While the drive to Walmart is a bit farther away from campus than other grocery stores in Bloomington, the trek is worth it if you like to buy food in bulk. I like shopping at Walmart because it has everything I need in a variety of sizes. This is a great option for those who hate frequent grocery store trips — bigger grocery sizes mean fewer trips. I went to Walmart three weeks ago, and I still have some of the groceries in my freezer. Don’t stress about the price either because Walmart has so many deals that I find myself saving money every time I go.  

I usually buy frozen fruit and chicken in bulk at Walmart. It has great deals, like its three-pound strawberry banana blend that’s just under $7 and great for making smoothies. I also buy the Great Value grilled chicken strips for less than $7. I often get two bags because they each hold one pound of pre-grilled chicken strips. I like to heat the chicken up in the air fryer and add it to a salad or pair it with some rice. I never get tired of chicken because there are a ton of different ways to make a meal out of it. Before your next grocery trip, visit Walmart’s website to stay updated on its latest deals.