Thursday, Sept. 26

arts food

7 snacks to keep you full during a long day of school

entschoolsnacks092524-illo

To minimize exhaustion during busy days, I recommend eating filling snacks in between meals.  When looking for substantial snacks, it is important to prioritize the amount of protein in each item.  

Protein reduces the body’s level of hunger hormone ghrelin, which allows us to feel fuller for longer. If you are interested in feeling full all day, but are unsure where to start, here are seven snack ideas to draw inspiration. 

Portable snacks 

If you will be on campus all day, here are great snack options that can fit in your backpack or a lunchbox.  

Trail mix   

Nuts such as almonds, cashews and pistachios are great sources of protein and healthy fats. One of my favorite afternoon snacks is my homemade simple trail mix with cashews, almonds and dark chocolate chunks. Whether you want to create your own trail mix or buy pre-packaged trail mix at the store, a serving of the sweet and salty mixture snack will help keep your energy levels high during a hectic day.  

Beef jerky   

If you are looking for a flavorful and high protein snack, I recommend packing a serving of beef jerky in your bag. Beef jerky is dried cuts of lean beef seasoned with smoky flavors. My current favorite beef jerky is the original flavor meat sticks by Chomps. The jerky is portable, extremely tasty and contains 10 grams of protein per stick.   

Cheese sticks   

Most cheese sticks contain about 7 grams of protein and can easily be packed into an insulated lunchbox. If you are feeling hungry on the walk to your next class, you could effortlessly eat the cheese stick on your way.  

Choclate protein shake   

If you are looking for a sweet flavor during the day, I recommend trying a chocolate protein shake. My favorite chocolate protein shakes are the high protein chocolate milkshake from Core Power. The delicious drink tastes nearly identical to chocolate milk yet has no added sugars and 26 grams of protein.  

Snacks to make at home:  

If you have time to stop at home during the day, but are still feeling hungry in between your meals, here are my recommendations for a midday snack.  

Edamame   

In four minutes, you can have a steaming hot serving of edamame. All you have to do is buy a frozen steamer bag of edamame and follow the microwave instructions. Since edamame is a plant-based protein, one cup of soybean contains about 18 grams of protein.  

Turkey and cheese rolls  

A turkey and cheese roll allows you to get the great tastes of a deli sandwich without committing to one. Place a slice of turkey on top of a slice of cheese and roll it like a burrito. The two high protein items should give you a boost of energy during an afternoon slump.  

Rice cakes and cream cheese  

If you want a simple snack, I suggest trying rice cakes with cream cheese. The snack offers about 2 grams of protein per serving of cream cheese and a crunch from the rice cakes. If you are feeling fancy, you can even top your rice cakes with lox, capers or hot sauce.  

With the proper snacks, a long day in college doesn’t have to feel draining. Happy snacking Hoosiers!