Monday, Sept. 16

Don’t Let Bike Theft Ruin Your Semester: Tips to Keep Your Bike Safe at Indiana University Bloomington 

<p>A bike frame with a missing seat and wheels sits outside Read Hall on the IU campus.</p>

A bike frame with a missing seat and wheels sits outside Read Hall on the IU campus.

Welcome back, Hoosiers! As you settle in, be aware that bike theft is a significant issue, especially in the fall. These thefts are more than just minor inconveniences; every stolen bike undermines efforts to create a bike-friendly campus and meet the university’s climate goals. 

Here are some quick tips to keep your bike safe: 

1. Report Thefts Immediately: Report bike theft to the Indiana University Police Department (IUPD) as soon as possible at 812-855-4111. Reporting increases the chances of recovery and helps track theft patterns to address the issue. 

2. Bring Your Bike Inside at Night: Whenever possible, bring your bike inside a secure area overnight. Check if your residence offers indoor options or rent a bike locker from IU Housing 

3. Use a U-Lock: Use a sturdy U-lock rather than a cable lock, and thread it through the frame and at least the front wheel to a bike rack. Consider adding a second lock for extra security. 

4. Register Your Bike: Register with IU Parking Operations and/or Bike Index. This involves providing details like the serial number and color, which can aid in recovery. Keep your own record of this info along with a photo of yourself with your bike. 

5. Use Secure Parking Facilities: Park your bike in secure areas like the bike lockers at Briscoe and Union Street Center or the Ballantine Bike Hub, which has camera surveillance and CrimsonCard only access. 

6. Remove Accessories: Take removable items like lights and bags with you.

7. Get Involved: Your involvement can help create a safer environment for all bicyclists. Join local bike advocacy groups or IU’s own biking initiatives, participate in community meetings, or volunteer for safety events. 

For more information or to get involved, visit the IU Transportation Demand Management website go.iu.edu/bike