Thursday, Sept. 19

arts community events music

‘She’s an economic engine’: how Taylor Swift’s Indianapolis concert could impact Indiana cities

enttaylorswift091724.jpg

Cities across Indiana, including Bloomington, are experiencing an economic boost ahead of Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour performances from Nov. 1-3 in Indianapolis. 

Local businesses have hosted Swift-themed events like the “Eras Tour giveaway by The Upstairs Pub, where at 9 p.m. every Wednesday until Oct. 10, people can enter to win two tickets to see Swift in Indianapolis. One of the most notable recent events in Bloomington in honor of Swift’s visit to Indiana was the “Swifty Fest: Taylor Swift Tribute Concert,” on Sept. 8. The concert featured the Bejeweled Band’s Aimee Eisenmann and Maddie Lindley, who performed some of Swift's greatest hits.  

The community’s excitement isn’t limited to just the Eras Tour. Instead, it builds up in the days before the concert. Mike McAfee, executive director of Visit Bloomington, said Taylor Swift's presence in Indiana will have an impact on the town.  

“No surprise, we get an overflow from Indy, whether it's concerts or drum corps,” McAfee said.  

McAfee said he is unsure if Taylor Swift's upcoming Indianapolis concert is the motivation for the tribute concert in Bloomington. 

“It all works well together,” McAfee said. “She’s an economic engine, bringing money everywhere she goes.”  

Swift's influence extends beyond the thrill of her music. According to Amy Vaughan, a tourism department professor at Indiana University Indianapolis, short-term rental booking the week of Nov. 1, 2024, in Indianapolis have surged by 207% compared to the same week last year, and Airbnb rental searches have seen a 7,000% spike ahead of the concert dates. Expedia has also named Indianapolis the fastest growing U.S. destination for fall 2024 on their website, with a 120% increase in interest, largely attributed to the Eras Tour.  

“The level of attendance for these concerts is very unusual, and they're (Visit Indy) predicting that these three concerts will have the impact of three Super Bowls on our economy in Indianapolis,” Vaughan said. “Particularly since we’re the final North American stop, people will fly in from all over the country, even outside the U.S."  

Vaughan said 87% of the concert tickets purchases are from outside Indianapolis, which she said will be tremendous for hotels, restaurants and local attractions. She also said Visit Indy predicts 165,000 attendees across three nights, with the average concertgoer spending $1,300 per show.  

“The financial boost to the region is expected to be massive,” she said.  

An NPR analysis shows there are broad economic effects of Swift’s tour across the country. Her concerts not only fill local venues, but also create waves of economic activity that benefit surrounding businesses and boost local tourism. 

Beyond the economic impact, Swift’s concerts highlight a sense of togetherness in the community. The excitement surrounding Swift’s arrival extends beyond the concerts themselves, as local businesses and residents eagerly join in the festivities, creating a shared cultural moment for fans, whether they have a ticket or not. 

“Indianapolis has a tremendous sense of volunteerism, and residents take a lot of pride in showing off the city,” Vaughan said. “I expect the same community spirit with the Taylor Swift concerts, as residents will come out to support these events.” 

With Swift’s massive influence, it’s no wonder her presence in Indiana is sparking excitement and creativity. There are even Era's sing-alongs to celebrate Swifts arrival. 

In downtown Indianapolis, they’re hosting Swift + Shimmer Pre-Party and TAY/gate on Nov. 1-3, and the Children’s Museum has even put friendship bracelets on its dinosaur exhibit. On Halloween, there will even be Taylor-ween 

“It will be one of the biggest events in Indianapolis history,” Vaughan said.