Monday, Sept. 30

COLUMN: Western style is timeless

entcowboyboots093024-illo

If you’re looking to find new pieces for the fall or any season really, Western clothing will be in style forever. No matter if some pieces temporarily fall out, they will always come back. There is a long history of when this style began, and it still is a strong influence now.  

Western style in the US was introduced around the late 1880s. When American settlers from the east coast first arrived in the West, they realized their attire did not suit their environment, so cowboy boots and denim jeans were created for blue-collar workers. However, many Western looks are inspired by Mexican cowboys — for example, the cowboy hat was inspired by the sombrero to protect them from the sun.  Since then, it has grown to become a favorite style for many, without even knowing its history, due to its timeless aesthetic. 

Think about cowgirl boots, for example: white cowgirl boots were in style a couple of years ago, and now, red cowgirl boots are. You can see them around campus, especially on game days, but also any occasion really. You’ll always manage to find someone wearing a pair. 

Cowgirl boots are not the only Western piece that is trending right now. Statement belts with big buckles are also in, and I think bringing them into fall outfits is only fair. Vanessa Hudgens has always been a fan of this style throughout the years, but so many other celebrities like Bella Hadid and Dua Lipa also wear this vibe.  

The point is, if you're looking to accessorize your closet with pieces that are stylish and versatile, look no further than Western style.  

Chunky belts  

A chunky belt is a great way to add complexity to a simple outfit of jeans and a t-shirt. Free People has a great belt if you're looking for just that. The style of the belt is definitely out there, but it gives just the right amount of maximalism. This belt gives Western in the best way possible due to the detailing that can be seen dated from when it first began. You can pair it like the model on Free People’s website with a midi or maxi skirt, or with any outfit to give it some swank. There are many colors you can choose from like black with silver accents, black with gold accents, pink, and white.  

I understand that not everybody wants to pay the $98 price tag for a belt, so there is also a great Amazon dupe that gives the same idea for $25. If you want a more toned-down belt for this fall season that still can help accessorize an outfit, Anthropologie has a sleek black belt with a chunky gold chape for $78.  

Denim vests 

One of my personal favorite pieces of Western style is a denim jacket or, specifically, a vest. I think a vest offers something different from a denim jacket because not as many people are wearing it and can pair well with chunky belts, jeans or a prairie dress. You truly can’t go wrong with a denim piece for the fall. There are many different denim vests you can go for depending on what style you like.  

If you want a longer, looser fit vest, Amazon has an affordably- priced yet very stylish vest for $36. If you want a tighter, more cropped-fitting denim vest, you can find that at Abercrombie for $60 or a more affordable version at Zara for $35.90. If you want a mix of both, a tighter but longer fit with a high neckline for a more put-together look, Glassons is the site to go on with a reasonable price of $39.90.  

Straight-leg jeans  

I know the style lately has been baggier, low-waisted dad jeans, but nonetheless, when the trend is gone, the straight-leg jean will always stick around. The straight fit jean is classic and will be in style forever. I understand good jeans are hard to find and a bit on the pricier side, however, they will last a while or maybe even forever in your closet. It is definitely worth the investment.  

If you are on a budget, there are affordable straight-leg jeans at ASOS in multiple colors for $37.99. There are also affordable jeans you can find at Cotton On that are on the less-expensive side at $49.99. Of course, you can always go for the classic Levi’s, which also offers many shades to choose from for $98.  

Prairie dresses  

Last but not least, prairie dresses have been seen a lot recently most famously seen worn by Kylie and Kendall Jenner this past summer. I know this might not be for everybody, but for the people who want to try a new style, Princess Polly has a tighter-fitting prairie dress that can dress up the occasion and still have a girly flair for $94. Free People has more of a loose fit and low-cut prairie dress for $168.  

Although they might not all have the same vibe, each garment is drawn from one style: Western.  All these pieces can be styled comfortably, according to how you want to dress, but can add a bit of style whenever needed.