Sunday, Sept. 15

arts food

Five wrap recipes to try this school year

entwraplunches082924-illo

As summer wraps up, it is time to start packing school lunches. Wraps can be made in a few minutes and have an unlimited range of flavors. If you are in a rush, but still want a fulfilling lunch, try one of these five wrap recipes.  

Chicken bacon ranch wrap  

If you are a fan of cobb salads, I suggest you try making a chicken bacon ranch wrap. To make the wrap you will need to pan-sear chicken and bacon on the stove at medium-high heat for five to seven minutes. After the meat is cooked to your liking, dice the chicken and bacon into small pieces. Place the meat in the tortilla and add lettuce, cheddar cheese and ranch dressing.  

Turkey mozzarella pesto wrap  

This simple wrap requires only three ingredients and is also easy to assemble. Begin by spreading a thin layer of store-bought pesto onto one side of the tortilla. Place three slices of turkey and two slices of mozzarella on top of the pesto. If you have time, toast the wrap in a pan or a toaster, so the wrap can be elevated with a mesmerizing melty cheese pull.  

Hummus veggie wrap  

You do not have to eat meat to enjoy a wrap — this veggie hummus wrap is perfect for vegetarians. To enhance the flavor of this wrap, I recommend choosing an exciting flavor of hummus. Red pepper hummus or lemon dill hummus are two of my favorites. Once you spread a thick layer of hummus onto your tortilla, add avocado, tomatoes, arugula and bean sprouts to your wrap.  

Chicken salad wrap 

Whether you want to use store-bought chicken salad or make your own — with chicken, mayonnaise, celery, green onion, mustard, salt and pepper — this wrap will make for a tasty lunch. Place a few pieces of lettuce on your tortilla before adding a scoop of chicken salad to your wrap. Other toppings on the wrap can include tomatoes, avocado or even raisins.  

Cheeseburger wrap 

Tastse all the flavors of a cheeseburger in a quick, portable lunch. For this wrap, you will need to pan-sear a beef patty and then dice it into small pieces. Add all your favorite burger toppings including cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, ketchup and burger sauce. With a side of fries, you will never even know the difference between this wrap and a traditional cheeseburger.  

College schedules can be busy, but you should always have enough time to make one of these wraps. Enjoy Hoosiers!