Thursday, Sept. 19

OPINION:  Living with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: A daily battle with an invisible illness

opyogahashimoto091124-illo

Every morning, I wake up an hour earlier than anyone else in my house, not for the sake of preparation, but to take my medication for Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. The ritual is meticulous: I swallow the pill on an empty stomach and wait patiently for an hour before consuming anything. This daily routine is a small, yet constant reminder of the invisible struggle that comes with Hashimoto’s condition. 

Navigating life with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is an unpredictable and invisible mystery. The thyroid is a small, butterfly-shaped gland located in the throat, just below Adam's apple and in front of the windpipe. This gland plays a crucial role in the body by producing two vital hormones — triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) — that regulate how the body uses energy. These hormones influence various bodily functions, including metabolism, brain function, bone development and cardiovascular health.  

The term thyroiditis translates to "inflammation of the thyroid," reflecting the immune system's role in attacking healthy thyroid cells. This autoimmune response leads to inflammation, damaging or killing thyroid cells responsible for hormone production. As a result, the thyroid's ability to produce hormones diminishes, disrupting the body's energy management and affecting multiple systems. Hashimoto’s isn’t just an underactive thyroid: it’s an autoimmune condition where the body mistakenly attacks the thyroid, leading to chronic inflammation and, over time, hypothyroidism, when the thyroid gland doesn't make enough thyroid hormone and is called underactive thyroid. 

Initially, my thyroid-related lab reports showed minor fluctuations that I dismissed due to a lack of awareness, including a seemingly insignificant increase in thyroid stimulating hormone levels. As time passed, I began to feel increasingly tired in the mornings. As I didn’t display typical symptoms of hypothyroidism, my family and I overlooked Hashimoto's as a possible cause. It wasn't until months of ultrasounds and blood tests at the IU Student Health Center, far from home, that I was finally diagnosed. It wasn’t until I underwent ultrasound tests and various blood tests over two months that my doctor finally detected Hashimoto’s at the IU Student Health Center, thousands of miles away from home. 

One of the hardest parts of living with Hashimoto’s is the lack of a cure. Instead, I rely on thyroid hormone replacement therapy to manage my hormone levels. But medication is just one piece of the puzzle. Hashimoto’s may not be outwardly visible, and it demands constant attention and management. Monthly blood checkups to track TSH levels are a regular part of my routine, and while necessary, it's a process that can feel draining and relentless. I must make time for yoga, must wake up an hour earlier and must sleep before 12 a.m. to regularize my body’s routine with the medication. In most cases, holistic well-being and lifestyle comes off as the best option to tackle Hashimoto’s.  

Yoga is a hope that comes with the hopelessness of recovering from Hashimoto’s disease. Lifestyle adjustments, such as practicing yoga, have become essential in managing my condition. Yoga has been particularly helpful for me in reducing stress and inflammation — two factors that can significantly worsen autoimmune symptoms. It's more than just exercise: it's a coping mechanism that enhances my energy levels, emotional resilience and sleep quality.  

Hashimoto's affects nearly every aspect of my life, from fatigue and weight gain to cold sensitivity, depression and memory issues. These symptoms are not mere inconveniences; they have a profound impact on mental health, creating constant paranoia about what I consume and how it might affect my condition. While following a balanced diet is essential, I must also avoid inflammatory foods, soy, dairy, and gluten, making daily vigilance mentally exhausting. This constant struggle was a driving force behind my founding of Menstrulog, a nonprofit dedicated to raising awareness about women’s wellness, with a focus on open conversations around mental and menstrual health. 

Now, as president of Menstrulog at IU, I advocate for holistic health approaches, including yoga and music therapy, which are especially beneficial for managing conditions like Hashimoto's. By promoting awareness, we aim to foster a deeper understanding of autoimmune diseases, not just for those of us living with Hashimoto’s but for the broader community. Together, we can push for better education, research and holistic strategies to improve lives. 

Living with Hashimoto's is a journey of constant adjustment and resilience. By sharing our experiences, we can offer support and understanding, building a community that is stronger and more informed.

Aryaa Mishra (she/her) is a sophomore studying marketing, business and analytics, and economics and quantitative methods.