Sunday, Oct. 20

city bloomington

Efforts behind the scenes: changing the face of Bloomington’s homelessness

caunhoused101724.jpg

Despite the visible struggles of homelessness on Bloomington’s streets, there are a lot of efforts behind the scenes intended to fight the increasing battle. From three meals served daily, to rehousing programs, to new couples’ shelters in development, the city is seeing small but impactful victories that offer hope to those experiencing homelessness even as challenges persist. 

Wheeler Mission is an Indiana charity that with a homeless shelter in Bloomington that has been serving the community since 1893. Dana Jones, the director of engagement and services, said the shelter is a one-stop-shop for everything someone experiencing homelessness could need. It serves meals three times a day, has 80 beds available nightly and provides showers and even clothing in the winter.  

Jones said Wheeler Mission’s goal is always to help those experiencing homelessness get back on their feet. Its programs help them do this.  

Although the shelter is “come as you are,” meaning no background checks or drug tests are required to stay there, the beds have rules in the summer. From April 1 to Oct. 31, when the days get warmer and the weather less harsh, Wheeler Mission offers a 20-day stay once every 30 days.  

However, if one makes appointments with case management, an initiative aimed at helping the unhoused community get the resources they need and build plans towards personal goal advancements, then they can stay as many days as they need.  

The goal is to make sure those coming in are working toward “personal goal advancements,” such as housing, employment, work readiness or treatment for addiction or mental health. 

“Having people remain stagnant is not healthy,” Jones said. “In the summer months is the safest time for us to be working towards those goals.”  

In the winter, from Nov. 1 to March 31, a person can stay indefinitely if they choose to. Case management is offered but not required to stay.  

Jones said most people who stay at the emergency shelter are only there for two to three weeks.  

With programs like weekly addiction groups and relapse prevention, along with transitional care, which offers 18-24 months of housing as long as someone is employed, Jones said there is a lot happening behind the scenes that the public often doesn’t see.  

“I know we see homelessness on the streets of Bloomington all the time,” Jones said. “But there is so much progress being made.”  

Every January, the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority helps organize a point-in-time count of people experiencing homelessness in the state of Indiana. 

This year’s PIT count shows a doubling of unsheltered people in Monroe County, compared to 2023. The 2023 PIT count was 72 unsheltered people, rising to 142 in 2024.  

Homelessness numbers have been on the rise, with 456 being homeless in Bloomington and Monroe County in 2024 compared to the 427 people in 2023. A significant portion of those are living without shelter, according to the PIT report. This means a large portion of those unhoused are living on the streets rather than in a shelter, car, or any form of protection from outside.  

Jones said the fight against homelessness is a big, collaborative effort in the community.  

Wheeler Mission collaborates with many local organizations, clinics, churches and other shelters to make a bigger impact, including HealthNet.  

HealthNet, specifically the Homeless Initiative Program, aims to provide direct, acute medical and psychiatric care to the unhoused community in Monroe County, according to HIP Bloomington coordinator Melissa Burgess.  

Not only does HealthNet provide medical care to those living in homeless encampments, parks or other locations around Bloomington, it also partners with Wheeler Mission, Middle Way House and the downtown public library to provide more access to health care.  

It holds clinics twice a week, with treatments that range from case management to wound care.  

Other organizations like Beacon are also working to create a space for those experiencing homelessness. Wheeler Mission’s overnight shelter is a male-only shelter, whereas Beacon’s overnight shelter, Friend’s Place, reserves 20 out of their 40 beds a night specifically for women.  

Forrest Gilmore, the executive director of Beacon, said all 40 beds are filled most nights, with predominantly women and people part of the LGBTQ+ community.  

Beacon helps to house over 200 people a month through their day and overnight shelter.  

“The homeless population has remained relatively steady over the last decade,” Gilmore said. “And that is directly due to community intervention and housing intervention.”  

Gilmore said if it weren’t for this, the homeless population number would be much higher since housing access has become a much more challenging issue. 

However, not every person experiencing homelessness uses shelters or joins the programs. Street homelessness is still occurring, and increasing, throughout the U.S., Jones said.   

Both Jones and Gilmore explained various reasons why some people choose not to come into shelters.  

They cited pets as a major reason, as many shelters don’t allow pets, and there are limited beds in those that do. They also said there are limited options for those in an opposite-sex relationship. They often can’t stay together, so they choose not to go into the shelters at all.  

Jones said a huge reason is drugs and addiction. There are no drugs allowed in the shelters, and someone can’t take drugs if they spend the night there.  

Shelters have control over some of these reasons, and some they don’t, Gilmore said.  

However, the shelters are still creating outreach programs to bring more people in, expanding overnight shelters to accommodate more people if needed, and even building new centers.  

Beacon is in the process of building a new center on the West side that will be complete in about two years. Gilmore said the new center will provide beds for couples and it will be pet friendly.  

“People think there is nothing happening,” Burgess said. “That could not be further from the truth.”  

She said although there is still a long way to go, there are many collaborative efforts underway.  

“There are so many working groups, committees, social service providers and non-profits working together to bring real solutions,” Jones said. “We’re just faced with a lot of challenges.”