Tuesday, Oct. 22

campus student life

‘Hoosiers’ writer and producer Angelo Pizzo films new movie in Bloomington

camovieshooting102224.jpg

Around 30 cast, crew and observers in total were stationed in front of Kirkwood Hall on Monday for the taping of Angelo Pizzo’s new feature film “Someone Saved My Life.” 

The movie, loosely based on his childhood, takes place and is shot entirely in Bloomington. The plot focuses on the coming-of-age story of a student at Binford Junior High School. The movie stars actors Preston Oliver and West Mulholland.  

Pizzo is best known for writing and producing “Hoosiers” and “Rudy,” both of which are also set in Indiana.  

The crowd in front of Kirkwood Hall included several film students from the Media School who were allowed to observe the taping. Wendi Chitwood, a still photographer from the production, said they would film another scene a different day at the IU Auditorium. 

She said they had previously shot the small-budget film in one of the nearby quarries and at Binford Elementary School, which the production staged as a high school.  

Mike Brewington, an extra, said they also shot football scenes near what used to be Binford Junior High School, which Pizzo attended and played football at when he was younger. They constructed their own field by painting the ground and building goal posts.  

With an estimated budget of $2 million, the film is being produced by Amasia Entertainment and Blue Ace Media. Filming is expected to continue in Bloomington throughout November.