Thursday, Oct. 3

COLUMN: Reflecting on ‘Dazed and Confused’ 31 years since its release

entdazedconfused100224.jpg

Last Tuesday, Sept. 24, marked the 31st anniversary of writer-director Richard Linklater’s coming-of-age comedy that cemented itself as an American cult classic. Partly based on Linklater’s own adolescence in Huntsville, Texas, “Dazed and Confused” is a film that breathes life into the aimless activities teenagers typically engage in.  

Set in 1976, the film lacks a central protagonist or plot, and instead follows several interconnected stories all involving teenagers, such as incoming freshman Mitch Kramer (Wiley Wiggins) and rising senior Randall Floyd (Jason London), on their last day of school. From evening drives around town fueled by rock music, to impromptu keg parties, it features stylish snapshots of American youth culture that capture the apparently glorious freedom that comes with being in high school.  

The film focuses on the essence of a transitional period, rather than a singular aspect, hence its broad relatability. Its unique realism and lack of direction set it apart from other coming-of-age films.  

As a sophomore in college nearing the end of my teenage years, the film made me look back at my time in high school and wonder if it was as riveting as it should’ve been. “Dazed and Confused” seems to set an ideal standard for that era of life, and I couldn’t help but compare it to what I consider some of my best years so far.  

Of course, I wasn’t alive in the ‘70s and it’s no longer common for kids to play mailbox baseball or hang out at pool halls, but the film’s tendency to romanticize the high school experience preyed on the nostalgia I feel when recalling my time as a junior and senior. On another note, its portrayal of entering high school as a rite of passage reminded me of my efforts as a freshman to act like I belonged in a world that many older teenagers, such as my brother, were already well acquainted with.  

Now, my feelings about the film aside, its message is notably underlined by a carpe diem philosophy that colors its indelible mark on the hearts and minds of viewers. I believe this positively outweighs the unsavory depictions of cultish high school rituals and instances of political incorrectness that make the film seem outdated.  

The film’s philosophy is best encapsulated in the following quotes:  

"If we're all going to die anyway, shouldn't we enjoy ourselves now?,” Cynthia Dunn (Marissa Ribisi) said, cruising in the car with fellow outcasts Tony Olson (Anthony Rapp) and Mike Newhouse (Adam Goldberg.)  

“The older you do get, the more rules they’re going to try to get you to follow,” veteran party animal and graduate David Wooderson (Matthew McConaughey) said, giving advice to Randall Floyd. “You just gotta keep livin’ man.”  

These bits of wisdom present in the film’s dialogue give insight into what I believe “Dazed and Confused” is mainly about. I’m not suggesting people should entirely give in to hedonistic tendencies, but I do believe it’s important to sometimes look past what might be expected of you and realize that life is meant to be enjoyed, whether or not you’re a teenager and it’s the last day of school.  

The passage of time is inevitable, but it’s entirely possible to keep your spirit young.