Thursday, Oct. 24

Former Indiana baseball standout Kyle Schwarber to be guest picker on College GameDay

20241008-AMX-SPORTS-PHILLIES-VS-METS-PHILLY-GETS-1-PHI.jpg

Kyle Schwarber, who played baseball at Indiana from 2012-14, will be the guest picker on ESPN’s College GameDay before the Hoosiers’ football team hosts Washington at noon Saturday in Memorial Stadium. 

College GameDay, with a cast headlined by host Rece Davis and analysts Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard, Nick Saban, Pat McAfee and Lee Corso, will make its second appearance — but first traditional — in Bloomington. Viewed as college football’s premier pre-game show, GameDay selects one individual with ties to the hosting university to join the set and make predictions. 

Schwarber announced he earned the nod in a video released Thursday afternoon by College GameDay’s X account. 

“It’s going to be exciting; it’s going to be fun,” Schwarber said in the video. “Can’t wait to see all you guys there, and go Hoosiers.” 

Schwarber ended his three-year, 180-game Hoosier career with 238 hits, 182 runs scored, 40 home runs, 12 triples and a .607 slugging percentage, each of which ranked top 10 in program history. 

With a career batting average of .341, Schwarber earned All-Big Ten honors in each of his three seasons before being drafted No. 4 overall by the Chicago Cubs in the 2014 Major League Baseball draft. The highest-drafted player in Indiana baseball history, Schwarber now plays for the Philadelphia Phillies and has made two All-Star Game appearances. 

College GameDay begins at 9 a.m. Saturday at the south endzone plaza outside Memorial Stadium. 

Follow reporters Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Jhett Garrett (@jhettgarrett) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.