Saturday, Oct. 5

Students display artistic creations at the second First Thursdays event of the year

entoctfirstthurs100324_10

First Thursdays kicked off October with Halloween activities, live music, food trucks and numerous art booths Oct. 4 at the Fine Arts Plaza. 

For some, this First Thursday offered a chance to share their long-standing talents with other students across campus. IU junior Savano Roy has been drawing since she was a kid, but only started making prints and stickers to sell three years ago at her high school’s “First Fridays” events.  

“I first started coming to First Thursdays a year ago because it was something I used to participate in back in high school as well,” she said. “It’s a really nice place to be able to get my art out there.”

IU sophomore Jun Chen, a frequent participant in the festival, held a booth showcasing his handmade jewelry. Chen said he enjoys coming out to First Thursdays each month. 

“I make a variety of gemstone bracelets and accessories, and I sell almost monthly at the First Thursdays events,” Chen said. 

More than an opportunity to make money off of his jewelry, Chen utilizes the First Thursdays festival to meet new people and network with various students across campus.

“I know that a lot of students are struggling with financial aid, so I use my skills to help myself and at the same time help others who need it,” Chen said. “I also donate to different organizations, such as the Sandy Hook Promise Foundation, and others around campus.”

IU junior Alivia Wilson discovered the festival as an opportunity to turn her small hobby into something bigger. 

“I crochet, and it started out as nothing more than a hobby, but I slowly decided to start making my stuff for other people, and even selling it,” she said. “I started off with simple car decorations and slowly moved on to stuffed animals and other decorations.” 

This was Wilson’s first time holding a booth at First Thursdays and she said she’s hoping to have the opportunity again in the future.

“First Thursdays has gotten a lot more popular in the last few years, so getting to hold a booth has become a lot more selective as of recently, but I would love to come to more First Thursdays in the future,” she said.

This was also the first time IU sophomore Sofia Frazee participated in First Thursdays. She hopes to spread her art to more people through the festival. 

“I’m hoping that people will check out my website after today so they can see a lot more of my original work,” Frazee said. “It's the first time I’ve sold any of my art in person, and it’s been super nice.”

In addition to the several art stands held by students, there were many interactive booths for students such as pumpkin painting and a skeleton exhibit to get attendees into the Halloween spirit.

First Thursdays will be back again next month, promising new art, music and opportunities for students to explore.