Thursday, Oct. 10

OPINION: Is F1’s attempt to maintain its brand damaging its relationship with fans?

opformula1092524.jpg

Editor's note: All opinions, columns and letters reflect the views of the individual writer and not necessarily those of the IDS or its staffers.

Watching Formula 1 races throughout the year has become a regular habit for me. Fascinated by this historical sport, I follow everything from changes in the driver lineup to the community on social media, discussing and even attending races.    

However, with Formula 1 officials enforcing new limitations on content creators over the summer, I hope my affinity for this sport does not change. As a fan for eight years, I feel uneasy about these shifts that detract from the true nature of the sport.  

With Formula 1 working toward securing its brand image, creators whose content and online identities are based on Formula 1 racing have slowly begun to dissociate their handles from the sport. Rumor is that Formula 1 is pushing for this, with racing officials sending cease and desist letters to certain creators monetizing their content.   

These creators include Formula 1 influencer Mikaela Kostaras, who changed her username from “@shelovesf1” to “@shelovesvrooms.” The producers of the podcast “F1r the Girls” also changed the show’s name to “Paddock Project.” Neither provided a reason for the name changes to their respective audiences. 

Over the years, Formula 1 has continuously tried to tighten guidelines surrounding media, including trying to prevent drivers from posting video footage and photos from the paddock. Granted, the protection of intellectual property and trademarks is important to any global organization of this level, but many feel that Formula 1 could have reacted to the hard work of these creators in a different way.  

With the release of Formula 1’s own Netflix show “Drive to Survive,” in 2019 and an increase in F1 online content in recent years, the sport has not only grown largely but has also reached new audiences. A study by Buzz Radar revealed that 22% of fans were likely to learn about the sport through social media and 14% through “Drive to Survive.”  

Passionate fans from the community, including myself, feel that Formula 1 could have handled this better, whether that was by establishing a creator partnership program that would benefit both Formula 1 and these creators, or by simply issuing clear guidelines for content creators on how to use F1-related branding without infringing on trademarks.  

“It’s tough because I can see it from both sides, because they have a right to protect their intellectual property and they have trademarks on everything,” sophomore and Formula 1 fan Mia Roe, said. “But looking at it from a different angle, they have gained so many fans because of people making content on the internet. It's a giant marketing pool that they don’t even have to pay for.”  

Roe pointed out one of the sport’s biggest benefits from content creators is free marketing.  I think this is something officials have dismissed, not realizing how much it truly brings to F1. 

These creators have brought thousands of fans closer to the sport and have gone on to benefit Formula 1.  I would like to believe that I am an example of one of those many fans because, even though my love for the sport began a lot earlier than its uprising on social media, its presence on these platforms still plays an integral part in my keeping up with the sport.  

This content also shows us fans another side of F1, whether that is through fun videos, memes; or even podcasts with guests, including the drivers themselves. With most races being held in European time zones, the community mainly consisted of international fans before its rise online. However, the presence of these creators has brought back a significant number of American fans after years of stagnant viewership.  

But F1’s actions are beginning to push fans away from the sport to other much more welcoming series, including IndyCar, which is at the highest tier of open-wheel racing car series in the United States in the world of motorsport 

Unlike Formula 1, IndyCar has not only been encouraging creators but has also been using social media to its advantage by bringing fans closer to the action. Last year, IndyCar hosted a televised event at The Thermal Club, a raceway in Thermal, California, that hosted a non-championship exhibition for auto racing. The creator team included the hosts of “Traffic Talk,” a motorsport-based podcast, and motorsports streamer and creator Ash Vandelay. As a fan of motorsport myself, I would appreciate it if F1 did something similar, as it gives us fans an insight into a part of the sport that we don’t get to see very often, especially with the content we receive being monitored by F1. 

This is a potential learning experience for Formula 1, prompting a rethink of its strategies when it comes to protecting its reputation. Ultimately, I believe F1 has a right to protect its brand, but such heavy-handed methods could cause it to lose traction. 

Ayzah Khan (she/her) is a sophomore studying journalism and marketing.