Thursday, Oct. 17

Visiting Bloomington? Here’s where you should go.

opbloomvisit101524-3.jpg

Homecoming weekend at IU is a hallowed tradition, a prodigious event where students and alumni alike celebrate everything that makes our school what it is. It can be easy, then, to spend the weekend on campus, whether at Memorial Stadium or along the parade route or at any one of the several alumni events. But part of the marvel of the weekend is Bloomington itself: just as Old IU leaves an indelible mark, so too does B-Town.  

With that being said, here are some places — new and old — you should be sure to visit this weekend. 

Indiana merch 

You probably already have some — read, a lot — of this in your closet already, but it’s hard to argue one ever has enough cream and crimson. I mean, it just looks fantastic on you. Make sure to stop by Greetings on Kirkwood if you’re looking for a wide array of affordable T-shirts or The Indiana Shop if you’re trying for something sportier. You’d be remiss to not also check out Tracks, but only if you’re okay with walking away with a few vinyl records or CDs you just had to buy. 

Places to shop 

Besides clothing, you’ll probably be tempted to check in with some of the other stores around downtown. If you didn’t get your fill of music from Tracks, you’ll find everything you could possibly want at Landlocked Music right off the Square. Nearby is TD’s CDs and LPs, another record store that specializes in more obscure releases you might not find in your more mainstream spots. 

While you’re on Walnut Street, swing by the Book Corner to pick up some reads; or, if you’re looking for a cheaper option, the Friends of the Library Bookstore, located in the Monroe County Public Library, is open most days of the week and always features some high-quality, but very affordable, volumes. And, if you’ve already been to these places and want to visit a hidden gem, then Steve’s Book-O-Rama on East Sixth Street is exactly your cup of tea. 

Right next to Steve’s are Vintage Phoenix, a dedicated comic-book retailer, and Vulture Video, a movie rental store. Both of these decidedly old-school options are indicative of the independent, alternative side of Bloomington that helps make it such a cultural powerhouse.  

Spots to eat 

Of course, while you’re here, you’ll be tempted to stop by some of your old favorite restaurants, and that’s okay! Places like Mother Bear’s Pizza, Nick’s English Hut, Buffalouie’s and the Village Deli hold a special place in our hearts for a reason. But it’s also worth visiting some of the less iconic, but still widely loved, gems surrounding campus: places like Fat Dan’s Chicago-Style Deli, FARMbloomington or Z & C Teriyaki & Sushi. It’s imperative to mention, too, the restaurants down Fourth Street, like Siam House, Indian Garden and Dats. 

And, if you’re truly in a hurry, Downtown Bloomington houses a bustling food truck scene — mobile restaurants like Pili’s Party Taco and Doner Kebab are almost always up and running and are just as good as their sit-down counterparts.