Tuesday, Oct. 8

sports field hockey

Indiana field hockey splits weekend against No. 5 Maryland, Rutgers

spiufhrecap100724.jpg

Indiana field hockey faced a tough weekend, suffering a 3-0 loss to No. 5 Maryland on Friday. 

However, rebounding with a thrilling overtime victory against Rutgers on Sunday, Indiana marked their first Big Ten win thanks to a standout performance from Sophomore midfielder Inés Garcia Prado. 

In a tough match against highly-ranked Maryland, Indiana was shut out. The game started with high intensity, but both teams’ defenses held strong, leading to a back-and-forth battle for possession.  

Maryland struck first with a penalty corner, where an initial shot was saved by Hoosier freshman goalkeeper Sadie Canelli. However, Terrapin senior forward Hope Rose quickly recaptured the ball and found an opening, sneaking a shot just past Canelli for the first goal.  

Terrapin freshman midfielder Annemijn Klijnhout set up a one-on-one opportunity for sophomore forward Josie Holloman, but Canelli made a tremendous save, resulting in a foul that sent Holloman to the penalty line. Holloman converted the penalty shot, extending Maryland’s lead to 2-0. 

Halftime arrived with Maryland firmly in control, leading 2-0. The dominant No. 5 team came out strong after the break, looking to extend their lead and stifle any potential comeback from the Hoosiers.  

A strong defensive stand for Maryland quickly transitioned into an offensive push, with Rose leading the charge. Sprinting up field, she received a perfectly timed through pass, took a step, and fired a shot into the back of the net for her second goal of the day. 

Now down by three goals, Indiana threatened one last time before the quarter ended, but came up short, failing to convert on a penalty attempt. 

The fourth quarter did not go Indiana's way either. Maryland's stout defense held throughout, shutting out the Hoosiers after another disappointing offensive quarter for Indiana. 

After the loss to Maryland, Indiana faced another tough Big Ten opponent, Rutgers, the next day. The game began with high energy, and Rutgers opened the scoring with a penalty corner past Canelli. 

Trailing early, Indiana controlled possession, with their midfield stringing together passes. 

As the first quarter waned, the Hoosiers launched two aggressive offensive attacks, threatening Rutgers' lead but falling short of tying the match. Without a score to show for its efforts, the fired-up Indiana squad took its momentum to the second quarter.  

Opening the second quarter, the Hoosiers quickly gained possession, moving swiftly up field into Rutgers territory. 

Taking the chance herself, Prado worked past her defender. With a step and a shot, she knocked in a goal for Indiana, knotting the score at 1-1.

After scoring from its only penalty corner, Rutgers struggled to find a response to Prado’s goal. 

Its offensive opportunities were limited until a mistake by the Hoosiers sent Rutgers back to the penalty corner, where it had previously capitalized. Rutgers senior forward Paulina Niklaus’ shot hopped past Canelli, as Rutgers converted on its second penalty corner, taking the lead back 2-1. 

At the start of the second half, Indiana’s offense shocked Rutgers as Prado charged right up field, scoring the equalizer by herself in just 23 seconds.  

For Indiana, Prado had been the standout player up to the third quarter, however on the other side, Niklaus continued to shine, particularly with her performance on penalty corners. She notched her third goal for a hat trick, recapturing the lead for Rutgers at 3-2. 

Indiana spent the final minutes of the third quarter on Rutgers' side, but the Scarlet Knights' stout defense held it scoreless.  

With eight minutes left in the fourth quarter, Indiana lined up for its 11th penalty corner. Senior midfielder Sofia Arrebola García received the pass and scored, tying the game at 3-3. 

A tense back-and-forth for possession ensued as the clock wound down, leading to the end of regulation. 

Into overtime, the teams had to been worn out, but the stakes were high for the Hoosiers. It had been since they last beat Rutgers back in 2022 that they captured a Big 10 conference win. 

Rutgers threatened Indiana with a strong offensive push but came up short.  

Now it was Indiana's attack. Its first shot missed, but the ball bounced around the Rutgers’ penalty circle, finding Prado’s stick. She fired a shot just past the Scarlet Knights keeper for the game-winning goal. 

Prado’s impressive performance, capped off by the goal, highlighted Indiana’s weekend. 

The Hoosiers will return to action next weekend to face Iowa at 3 p.m. Friday at Grant Field in Iowa City.