Saturday, Oct. 5

Indiana football readies to face Northwestern, seeks second 6-0 start

spiufbpreview100424.jpeg

It’s only been done once. 

In 1967, led by head coach John Pont, Indiana football began its season 6-0. It went on to go 8-0 before it lost a game. 

Currently sitting at 5-0 and 2-0 in conference play, the Hoosiers enter Week 6 with an opportunity to improve to 6-0 and become bowl-eligible –– the quickest they’d do so since the NCAA established the six-win standard in 2010. 

Indiana hits the road for just its second contest away from home this season, taking on Northwestern at 3:30 p.m. EST Saturday at Northwestern Medicine Field at Martin Stadium in Evanston, Illinois. The contest will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network. 

The Hoosiers are coming off a 42-28 victory over Maryland on Sept. 28 while the Wildcats were idle last week. 

Here’s what you need to know ahead of Saturday’s matchup. 

Indiana overcomes adversity 

Through its first four contests, Indiana hadn’t committed a turnover. After two drives against the Terrapins, sixth-year senior quarterback Kurtis Rourke had already thrown a pair of interceptions. 

Junior running back Kaelon Black fumbled late in the second quarter and Rourke did the same with just under six minutes left in the game. 

In Maryland’s four drives after takeaways, the Hoosiers didn’t allow a single yard. The Terrapins finished the drives with a total of –8 yards. 

“It gave us an opportunity to be successful,” Cignetti said Monday. “I'm not surprised by it because I think we have a good defense, a very capable defense. I wish we didn't turn the ball over like we did, but sometimes you're going to have things throughout the season, and it was great to see them do that.” 

Despite four total turnovers, the Hoosiers still won by two touchdowns –– a rather rare occurrence in college football. But this Indiana team appears to be an uncommon one. 

The Hoosiers are without Donaven McCulley 

Senior wide receiver Donaven McCulley entered the transfer portal Tuesday afternoon, a source confirmed to the Indiana Daily Student. 

McCulley broke out in 2023, finishing with 48 receptions for 644 yards and six touchdowns. However, after suffering an injury against Florida International University on Aug. 31 and missing the ensuing contest against Western Illinois University, he effectively fell out of the rotation. 

After being held without a catch against UCLA on Sept. 14 and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte on Sept. 21, McCulley caught his second pass of the season against Maryland, scoring a touchdown. 

Now without McCulley, the Hoosiers still possess a deep wide receiver room led by junior Elijah Sarratt, who has 22 receptions for 378 yards and two touchdowns. 

In total, Indiana has five receivers with at least 100 yards this season in Sarratt, fifth-year senior Myles Price (246), senior Miles Cross (184) and redshirt sophomore Omar Cooper Jr. (328). 

Cignetti said McCulley needed to “pick it up” during spring practice in April. Then, in August, McCulley said he told Cignetti to coach him hard, explaining that Cignetti getting on him helped learn him how the new head coach and the team operate. 

Now, McCulley is no longer a Hoosier. 

What about the Wildcats? 

Northwestern (2-2, 0-1 Big Ten) enters Saturday coming off an idle week. 

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Jack Lausch struggled in the Wildcats’ 24-5 loss to Washington on Sept. 21, finishing 8 of 27 for 53 yards and a pair of interceptions. 

As a whole, Northwestern’s offense ranks at the bottom of the Big Ten in nearly every offensive category. The Wildcats average 294.5 yards per game, scoring just two offensive touchdowns so far this season. 

Despite the offense’s struggles, Northwestern’s defense ranks in the middle of the conference statistically, allowing 15.8 points and 302 yards per game. 

“Northwestern, they're a tough challenge,” Cignetti said. “This will be the best defensive team we've played. Really extremely well-coached, in the right places. They know what they're doing. They make you earn your points. They're not going to lose the game. You'll have to win it.” 

While Wildcats signal callers Lausch and graduate student Mike Wright managed to lead the team to 69 total points through the first four games, Indiana junior linebacker Aiden Fisher said the Hoosiers don’t focus their preparation on the opposing quarterback’s stats. 

“They’re both good players at the end of the day. They're both kind of setting in and both kind of figuring out their role in this offense, so they’re not to be taken lightly even though maybe their numbers aren’t there,” junior linebacker Aiden Fisher said Tuesday. “They’re not getting a lot of talk around the country, but it doesn’t matter. They’re still great players, so we got to come in and prepare for them like they’re the best quarterback in the country.” 

Kickoff 

With a victory, the Hoosiers would become bowl-eligible after three seasons without a bowl appearance. 

Follow reporters Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Jhett Garrett (@jhettgarrett) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.