Sunday, Oct. 27

‘Keep fighting’: Indiana football, Jackson seize control of Washington in gritty victory

spiufbsidebar102624.jpeg

When sixth-year senior quarterback Kurtis Rourke injured his thumb in a game against Nebraska on Oct. 19, Indiana football had no issues without Rourke in the second half. 

Redshirt sophomore signal caller Tayven Jackson entered in relief, helping guide the Hoosiers to a 56-7 victory. After the game, Indiana head coach Curt Cignetti was optimistic about Rourke’s injury timeline. He said they would know more Sunday. 

So, when news broke Sunday that Rourke would “be out an indefinite period of time,” it became Jackson’s turn under center. 

Cignetti affirmed Monday he and the team had full confidence in Jackson. While Jackson wasn’t flashing the brilliance Rourke has this season Saturday, the results were the same: a 31-17 victory over Washington on Saturday inside Memorial Stadium. 

The Hoosiers struggled on their first three possessions, gaining just 46 yards over 12 plays. They were forced to punt twice alongside a turnover on downs after Jackson’s failed quarterback sneak. 

“We just weren't executing,” Cignetti said postgame. “Quarterback has got a few plays that he'll learn from. It wasn't that there weren't things there.” 

Jackson made five starts a season ago and appeared in another game before then-freshman quarterback Brendan Sorsby overtook him as the starter. He largely struggled after going 24 for 34 for 299 yards and a touchdown and interception against the University of Louisville on Sept. 16, 2023. 

But after an offseason spent working under quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator Tino Sunseri, Jackson felt ready. Not only was he ready to lead the Hoosiers to their eighth victory, but he was also ready to show the strides he’s made. Ahead of Saturday, he’d attempted just 18 passes this season in largely a mop-up role outside of Nebraska. 

“I just pride myself, and coach Tino prides ourselves when a guy goes down, the next guy (stands) up,” Jackson said postgame. “I was ready for that opportunity, and I feel like, as a team, we did a good job.” 

Jackson began the contest 2 for 5 for 20 yards before finding redshirt sophomore Omar Cooper Jr. for a 42-yard touchdown, giving the Hoosiers a 14-0 lead just over a minute into the second quarter. 

The Greenwood, Indiana, native failed to connect with junior receiver Elijah Sarratt on his next two attempts — the second being a touchdown if Jackson had been able to hit Sarratt.  

Jackson then completed his final six attempts of the opening half as the Hoosiers led 17-7 at the break. 

“I felt like it could be a lot better throwing the ball,” Jackson said. 

The 6-foot-4, 212-pound signal caller said his reads could’ve been a lot faster, but also cut himself some slack knowing Saturday served as his first start this season. 

After Indiana failed to capitalize in the red zone and finished the first half with a field goal instead of a touchdown, it received the kickoff to open the second half. And on the first play of the third quarter, Jackson threw his only interception of the day. 

From that point on, Jackson tossed just four passes, completing two of them. While Jackson struggled, that was not the entire reason the Hoosiers moved away from the passing game. 

It’s what Washington was doing defensively. 

“They did change their tendencies on us quite a bit,” Cignetti said. “They went from a man coverage team to a zone team, so at some point in the game you almost throw out 50% of the game plan and just start shooting them from the hip.” 

So, Indiana turned to fifth-year senior Justice Ellison 20 times to be exact. 

The Ashburn, Virginia, native gained 96 yards over the course of the second half, headlined by his 5-yard touchdown run to give the Hoosiers a two-possession lead. 

“A lot of times there are obstacles in games, just like life, but you can’t put your head down and go in the corner and pout,” Ellison said postgame. “You have to be a man and strap it up and keep fighting. It wasn’t a lot of big runs, explosive runs, but they really showed the resilience of this football team.” 

After the Hoosiers took down the Huskies, they felt a range of emotions. 

Ellison said he felt thankful to be a part of the team —the first Indiana team to start its season 8-0 since 1967. 

Redshirt junior defensive lineman Mikail Kamara felt like Saturday, and the whole season, “has been fun.” The outside perception of the 12 James Madison University transfers was they weren’t going to dominate at Indiana, according to Kamara. But they have, and Kamara is enjoying doing it. 

Sixth-year senior offensive lineman Mike Katic said returning to Indiana was the “best decision I’ve ever made hands down.”  

“I love this place with my whole heart, and I’m so grateful for everyone in this program that has helped me get to where I am,” Katic said. “I’m so proud of this team and these coaches for everything and breaking through and getting Indiana football back on top.” 

Follow reporters Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Jhett Garrett (@jhettgarrett) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.