Friday, Oct. 4

COLUMN: Indiana football will still have a prolific offense without Donaven McCulley

spiufbcolumnmcculley100324.jpeg

Indiana senior wide receiver Donaven McCulley entered the transfer portal Tuesday, a source confirmed to the Indiana Daily Student.  

McCulley initially entered the transfer portal back in November when former head coach Tom Allen was fired and despite being a hot commodity in the portal, McCulley withdrew and returned to Indiana. However, after playing in just four games, he entered his name back into the portal. 

The Indianapolis native caught just two passes in those four games for 21 yards and a touchdown that came against Maryland on Sept. 28. 

While McCulley was the Hoosiers’ top receiver in 2023, this season is a different story. The Hoosiers have one of the top receiving rooms in the Big Ten, even without McCulley.  

Junior Elijah Sarratt has proven to be a true number one receiver for Indiana. Sarratt has reeled in 22 passes for 378 yards and two touchdowns. The James Madison University transfer, who has been given the nickname “Waffle House” because he is always open, is coming off a 128-yard game including a touchdown in the 42-28 win over Maryland.  

While Sarratt can go up and catch any jump ball thrown his way, senior Myles Price has worked well in space for the Hoosiers through five games. Price allows the Hoosiers to get the ball out quick and use their speed.  

One of the few players who returned to Indiana after Allen was fired is redshirt sophomore Omar Cooper Jr. He has lived up to the expectations of being the breakout player for the Hoosiers, already surpassing his totals in yards (328) and touchdowns (3) from last season.  

Cooper Jr. looked phenomenal once again against Maryland, finishing with four catches for 83 yards and a touchdown. Looking back on the first five games of the season, Cooper Jr. has been one of the most fun players to watch, using his elite hands and ability to elevate above any defender to secure a catch.  

Seniors Miles Cross and Ke’Shawn Williams are valuable to Indiana with Cross’ strength and Williams’ speed.  

Cross, a transfer from Ohio University, has shown his athleticism from the first game of the season, including a beautiful one-handed catch against Florida International University. He’s up to 184 yards and a touchdown on the year, with his lone score coming against UCLA. Cross has also been one of the most important pieces for the Hoosiers run game, showcasing his run-blocking abilities.  

Williams, a transfer from Wake Forest University, had a surge against UCLA and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, catching three touchdowns over those two weeks on seven catches. Despite standing at 5-foot-9, Williams forces defenses to keep their eyes on him anytime he’s on the field. Whether he is running a route or running the football, his speed can break any team’s back at any time. With just nine catches on the year for 96 yards, Williams could benefit the most with McCulley’s departure.  

Even with the loss of McCulley, Indiana still has depth in the receiving room. With speed, height and 1,300 receiving yards still sitting in the wide receiver room outside of McCulley, the Hoosiers’ offense isn’t going to slow down. 

Follow reporters Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Jhett Garrett (@jhettgarrett) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.