Saturday, Oct. 19

Indiana football makes statement win in front of sold-out crowd, downs Nebraska by 49 points

spiufbdaniel101924

Indiana football’s defense was on its heels. Nebraska was 14 plays into its opening drive of the second half and, trailing 28-7, kept its offense on the field to go for it on fourth-and-8. 

Senior defensive back Shawn Asbury II stood at the Hoosiers’ 1-yard line, watching Nebraska freshman quarterback Dylan Raiola clap his hands together to snap the ball. Asbury took one step to his left, then darted to his right as Raiola turned his head to assess the left side of the field and threw the ball. 

Asbury propelled himself just in front of junior tight end Thomas Fidone II, intercepting the pass and beelining for the north endzone. Asbury said he didn’t think he was going to be caught from behind. Instead, he thought he was going to give the Hoosiers a 35-7 lead. 

Nebraska senior running back Rahmir Johnson caught Asbury, however, bringing him down at the Cornhuskers’ 19-yard line. Even without securing the six points, Asbury changed the game. 

“Shawn Asbury's play was probably the big play in the game,” Indiana head coach Curt Cignetti said postgame. “There was a lot of big plays in that game, but that was a real momentum-turning play.” 

Cignetti wasn’t the only Hoosier who thought the play shifted momentum. Sophomore defensive back D’Angelo Ponds said it “definitely shifted momentum,” and later described it as a “clutch” pick. 

Just three plays later, Indiana redshirt sophomore quarterback Tayven Jackson tossed a 2-yard touchdown pass to senior receiver Miles Cross. The Hoosiers extended their lead to 35-7, effectively sealing the game with just over six minutes left in the third quarter. 

While sixth-year senior quarterback Kurtis Rourke didn’t take the field in the second half due to a thumb injury, Jackson guided the Hoosiers through the final two quarters. Cignetti explained postgame that he and the team had confidence in Jackson. 

And not only did Indiana seal the game with a whole quarter left to play thanks to Cross’ touchdown, but it never let off. 

“Coach Cignetti said once we put the foot on the gas, they’re going to start getting rattled and frustrated,” senior linebacker Jailin Walker said. “So, we knew once we got them in that element, it was time put the foot really on the gas.” 

And put the foot on the gas pedal they did. 

The Hoosiers outscored the Cornhuskers 28-0 over the final two frames, despite the visitors holding a 171-152 advantage in second-half yardage. But the deficit in total yards didn’t matter. The Cream and Crimson outgained Nebraska 343-133 in the first half, although the Cornhuskers allowed just 272 yards per contest entering Saturday. 

It wasn’t just another victory on Homecoming weekend — it was a dominant one. With upwards of 80 recruits on hand for the contest, it’s a victory that backs up what Cignetti preached when he first arrived in Bloomington. 

During his introductory press conference Dec. 1, 2023, Cignetti explained he’s never had a losing season as head coach. Later in December he said, “I win, Google me.” 

That’s all the Hoosiers have done under the 63-year-old head coach. Indiana’s victory Saturday secures yet another winning season for Cignetti –– his 14th. He’s yet to have a losing one as a head coach. 

But some Hoosiers, like Ponds, Asbury and Cross, don’t view Saturday’s drubbing as a statement win. Instead, it’s the expectation. 

I feel like outside looking in, it’s a statement win, but the guys in here know what we are supposed to do,” Ponds said. “We are not surprised at all.” 

Asbury and Cross explained the Hoosiers take the season just one game at a time. 

But fifth-year senior running back Justice Ellison views it in a different way. For him, it was a statement game. 

“It was a wonderful day in the office,” Ellison said. “It was pretty much a statement game. Going into the game, we knew we had a chip on our shoulder, and it was great to be with the guys and come in and get that kind of outcome.” 

The Hoosiers now sit at 7-0 for the first time since 1967. They continue to climb up The Associated Press’ poll with their unblemished 4-0 record in conference play. 

Indiana welcomes Washington to Memorial Stadium at noon Oct. 26, looking to continue its undefeated season. At this point last season, the Hoosiers were 2-5 and fighting to keep fans in the bleachers. 

That’s not the case anymore. Hoosier fans sold out Saturday’s contest and have done the same for Indiana’s Nov. 9 matchup with Michigan. 

No matter how the rest of Indiana’s season ends up, the Hoosiers have generated a newfound buzz in Bloomington –– something athletic director Scott Dolson was searching for when he decided to fire former head coach Tom Allen. 

Cignetti noticed it and so did the players. 

“I’ve never played with an atmosphere like this,” Walker said. “Shoutout to the crowd. They came in loud, and it motivated us to play fast. It was amazing. 

Follow reporters Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Jhett Garrett (@jhettgarrett) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.