Tuesday, Oct. 15

sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer eyes third straight win in road battle against Michigan

100824menssoccer_02

Boasting a five-game unbeaten streak, including two straight wins over the University of Kentucky and Penn State, Indiana men’s soccer next turns to a clash with Michigan on Tuesday night in Ann Arbor. 

Throughout the first month of the season, the Hoosiers insisted the turnaround would come. Indiana’s nonconference slate was filled with disappointing results — including a 2-0 loss to the University of Dayton on Sept. 9 and a 1-1 draw with the University of Evansville on Sept. 17 — but head coach Todd Yeagley’s squads flipping a switch in October has become inevitable. 

Finding consistent goalscoring has been the driving factor for the improvement. With freshman midfielder Charlie Heuer’s brace against the Nittany Lions on Oct. 11, Indiana now has four separate players with two-goal games, including freshman forward Michael Nesci, junior defender Quinton Elliot and senior forward Tommy Mihalic.

Mending the early-season offensive struggles has been coupled with the strong play of Indiana’s backline. While fifth-year senior Jansen Miller and freshman Josh Maher have proven to be a talented tandem, the Hoosiers’ 17 goals allowed rank third worst in the Big Ten. 

But with a clean sheet against Penn State — the first since Sept. 13 against Rutgers — their play was rewarded.  

Here’s everything to know when Indiana and Michigan take the pitch: 

Meet the Wolverines 

Despite returning most of its top attacking talent from last season, Michigan has settled for a 1-1-3 start in Big Ten play. Led by head coach Chaka Daley — in his 13th year at the helm in Ann Arbor — the Wolverines sit slightly below the middle of the conference table with six points. 

While drawing Washington, UCLA and Rutgers, and falling 6-3 to No. 2 Ohio State, Michigan totaled 10 goals, averaging two per contest. Senior defender Jason Bucknor, a 2023 Big Ten All-Tournament Team honoree, leads the Wolverines with five goals while only taking eight shots this season. 

Indiana is certainly no stranger to Bucknor’s talents. He scored against the Hoosiers in a thrilling Big Ten Tournament semifinal matchup and also found the back of the net when the squad’s met in 2022. 

Aside from Bucknor, graduate midfielder Bryce Blevins and graduate forward Beto Soto have been key to Michigan’s attack. The pair have combined for seven goals and 14 assists this year, and Soto’s nine assists pace the conference. 

The Wolverines, though tallying fewer than double digit shots per game, are consistently able to maximize their chances. Michigan is tied with No. 25 Wisconsin for shots on target percentage with 45.9. 

Perhaps one of the primary flaws with Michigan this season has come in its stability between the posts. Three separate goalkeepers have started this season, including graduate student Ethan Wood, sophomore Isaiah Goldson — a member of last year’s Big Ten All-Freshman Team — and most recently, senior Hayden Evans. 

It’s unclear who will start in goal against Indiana, but with the attack continuing to find its form, the Hoosiers will certainly test whoever stands in. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Tuesday in Ann Arbor, Michigan and will be televised on Big Ten Network. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Mateo Fuentes-Rohwer (@mateo_frohwer) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.