Friday, Oct. 18

sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer drops final home game of the season 1-0 to Illinois

IDSWomen'sSoccervsIllinois-2.jpg

Both Indiana women’s soccer and Illinois went into Thursday night’s game at Bill Armstrong stadium looking to get back in the win column after recent losses. After 90 minutes, Illinois came out victorious with a 1-0 win.  

“I think we deserved the win, but you don’t deserve anything if you don’t score,” Head coach Erwin Van Bennekom said. 

Indiana came out ready to attack after the opening whistle as it had three shots in the first six minutes. The teams were trading possessions and shots constantly. The defensive line for the Hoosiers, they struggled to keep possession and seemed panicked by the Illini.  

At the 12th minute, a rare misplay by senior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg cost the Hoosiers a goal. Junior forward Sarah Foley of the Fighting Illini received a through ball by fifth year midfielder Kennedy Berschel on a two versus five attack against the Hoosiers. Gerstenberg then came far out of the 6-yard box where Foley was able to take a touch to get away and tap the ball into the back of the net for the lead.   

Neither team tested the goalkeepers on the corners and continued to put up straight middle shots. The Hoosiers rushed to put up any shot possible yet struggled with their spacing as they continued to pack in wherever the ball was on the pitch and had few options to get rid of it  when anyone had possession.  The spacing hurt Indiana on defense as it would be congested on one side and leave open players on the opposite side, which gave Illinois chances. 

Freshman forward Layla Sirdah often went to work  alone as she attempted runs by herself and weaved through channels without her teammates coming in to support. She finished the match with three shots in 76 minutes played. With two one-on-one opportunities in the first half against the Illini, but too many touches made on the ball, Indiana failed to execute. With six shots taken and four shots on goal in the first half, Indiana was desperate to get one in.  

Indiana  remained desperate in the second half as it kept threatening Illinois redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Izzy Lee. At the 55th minute, Sirdah got a successful shot off but was called offside as she received the ball in the middle of the 18-yard box.  Van Bennekom thought that it was a clean shot, but after video review, it was confirmed offside.  

The Hoosiers also had 11 corners all of which were unsuccessful that either turned into goal kicks or saves.  

With 15 minutes remaining, Van Bennekom made substitutions to put in a veteran core lineup  of mainly juniors and seniors with an emphasis on midfield. In the final five minutes, Illinois sat back on defense with a one goal lead while  the Hoosiers attacked them. It was then at the 89th minute when the Hoosiers applied the most pressure in the keeper’s box, but once again, they took too many touches and had the ball stolen quickly.  

Illinois ended its two-game losing streak while Indiana started its second two-game losing streak this season. The Hoosiers finished with 17 shots total and seven shots on goal yet could not get any behind Lee. With one lone goal, Illinois had four shots and just two shots on goal.  

“We’re going to play every game like we’re playing a national tournament,” Van Bennekom said regarding the remaining two games.  

Indiana now heads on a two-game road trip to close out the 2024 season. It begins at 1 p.m. Oct. 20 in Minneapolis against Minnesota.

Follow reporters Sam Elster (@samelster1) and Matt Rudella (@mattrudellaIDS) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.