Thursday, Oct. 10

sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer returns home to host in-state rival Purdue

spiuwspreview100924.jpeg

The Golden Boot, a trophy given to the winner of the matchup between Indiana’s and Purdue’s women’s soccer squads, is up for grabs Thursday night. 

Indiana and Purdue women’s soccer are having similar starts to the 2024 season as neither could contain two of the new schools added to the Big Ten conference this year. Both teams find themselves toward the bottom of the conference standings, but the Boilermakers sit two spots above the Hoosiers at No. 12.  

The Hoosiers are known to fumble against the Boilermakers, as their overall record against Purdue is 5-16-7. Coming off two losses against Washington and No. 11 Iowa, they have not been able to find a rhythm against top opponents, especially on the offensive end. Since conference play began for the Hoosiers, they have scored only three goals compared to their 24 goals in non-conference play.  

Both squads enter the match with Big Ten standings and postseason hopes on the line. Indiana, known for its strong defensive back line, will aim to leverage its resilience and tactical discipline to disrupt the Boilermaker attack. Purdue boasts a dynamic offense led by a versatile midfield that will look to break through Indiana’s defense.  

Purdue is coming off a 2-1 loss against Illinois. On the season, it has 17 goals while averaging 1.31 goals per game and allowing an average of 1 goal per game. Junior forward Chiara Singarella leads the Boilermakers with four goals and one assist on the season while sophomore goalkeeper Emily Edwards has 46 saves and a 79% save percentage.  

The Hoosiers have scored 27 goals in 2024 while allowing 11 goals. Despite a rough start to Big Ten play, Indiana averages 2.25 goals per game with 15.3 shots per game. Freshman forward Layla Sirdah leads the team with seven goals and six assists and a shot on goal percentage of 64%. Graduate student defender Avery Snead sits behind Sirdah with three goals and two assists thus far. Senior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg has continued her strong performance in between the pipes with 35 saves and a save percentage of 76%.  

With five games left in the regular season before the Big Ten Tournament begins, both teams are desperate for a win in this match. The Hoosiers will host the matchup between the two squads at 7 p.m. Thursday at Bill Armstrong Stadium with coverage on Big Ten +. 

Follow reporters Sam Elster (@samelster1) and Matt Rudella (@mattrudellaIDS) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.