Saturday, Oct. 19

sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer triumphs over Michigan State 3-1, earns Yeagley 200th Hoosier win

iums101824-3.jpg

To most people, it was history. For Todd Yeagley, it was just another game. 

Indiana men’s soccer’s 3-1 victory over Michigan State propelled the Hoosiers to the top of the Big Ten standings, although second place Maryland has played two fewer games. However, the match also secured Yeagley’s 200th victory as Indiana’s head coach, a number that to him was simply just that. 

A number.  

“I don’t look at numbers, I just don’t,” Yeagley said postgame. “But it’s fun. I really appreciate the guys; we had a fun time in the locker room.” 

Nothing better encapsulates Yeagley’s emotions than his response to the victory. With the seconds ticking down to zero, the head coach stood with his hands in pockets, looking out at his team. Then, when the horn sounded, he shook the hands of the Michigan State players and staff, without a hint of emotion in his demeanor. 

It would be impossible to tell his squad secured their third straight victory and extended their unbeaten streak to seven. It would be impossible to recognize a head coach with a 22-4-6 record in the month of October since 2021. 

But that’s exactly what Yeagley and Indiana accomplished, although he was quick to highlight his team’s performance in the month over his own accomplishments. 

“It’s just fun to see the team always getting better,” Yeagley said. “That’s what I’m always proud of, is the team gets better as the year goes on.” 

Justin Weiss represents Yeagley’s sentiments perfectly. The graduate student forward began the year with 13 straight scoreless games, but Friday night’s opening finish marked his third goal in two games. 

A transfer from Northwestern, Weiss said he’d been frustrated with his lack of production, although it was more about “letting the team down” than the statistic itself. But Yeagley and his staff disagreed, citing the other positive qualities he contributed beyond his scoring ability. 

Now, as the goals finally arrive, Weiss believes his time was bound to come a matter of if, not when. 

“I wasn’t not a goal scorer all of a sudden,” Weiss said postgame. “I always had it in me. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time, and (when) you hit form, you hit form.” 

Just before the half, Weiss earned Indiana a penalty from a Michigan State handball, and senior forward Patrick McDonald stepped up to double the Hoosiers’ lead. But only minutes later, McDonald was called for a handball of his own following a video review, and Michigan State sophomore midfielder Cristiano Bruletti made the game 2-1 entering halftime. 

Throughout the first half, senior forward Sam Sarver struggled to gain any rhythm, reflected in his uncharacteristic first half substitution only 22 minutes into the game. Sarver himself acknowledged his poor performance postgame. 

“He gave me some tough love in the first half,” Sarver said about Yeagley. “It obviously wasn’t my best half. ... He gave me a little talking to at halftime privately just to ... go out there and play your game.” 

Sarver did just that. 

Only five minutes into the second half, Sarver dribbled the ball at the top of the box on his patented right wing and rifled a shot to the top left corner, extending Indiana’s lead to 3-1. Without hesitation, he sprinted to the sideline, pointed at his head coach and gave him a big hug. 

Yeagley noted the “deep relationship” he and his senior forward have, and Sarver reflected a similar sentiment with his appreciation for his coach. 

“I felt I owed him a little hug just for having faith in me,” Sarver said. “Lots of coaches, if their players aren’t playing (well), they’ll take them out and they’ll be done for the day. I’m grateful that he kept his faith in me and let me keep going.” 

The two-goal lead was one Indiana would never relinquish as it cruised to the three points. But the final 40 minutes following Sarver’s would likely not have been as smooth without Jack Wagoner. 

To begin the year, the junior midfielder’s position was up for grabs alongside graduate student transfer Luke Jeffus. Yet, as the season wore on, Wagoner established himself as the No. 2 guy in the midfield next to McDonald, a role that epitomizes his character. 

“He’s an engine back there, and he’s the most unselfish player we have on the team,” Weiss said. “He doesn’t care about scoring goals (or) giving assists he’s just working hard getting second balls, and he cares about the team’s success.” 

Wagoner played all 90 minutes in the match, a feat he’s achieved in three of the last five games. But with a week break before Indiana’s trip to Los Angeles to face UCLA on Oct. 25, Weiss pointed out the junior will have the weekend to “decompress” from the heavy usage. 

As the Hoosiers begin to establish themselves and gain momentum, Sarver is ready to welcome the outside noise after disregarding it for so much of the year. 

“Sometimes it takes a few games for the teams to mesh, and you got to ignore the outside comments of, ‘IU (is) not the same anymore,’” Sarver said. “Now everyone can hop on the bandwagon again.” 

Bandwagon or not, the wins are all Yeagley wants. And if the match is his 201st victory, further extending his national record win total since 2010, it won’t matter to him it will just be a number. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Mateo Fuentes-Rohwer (@mateo_frohwer) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.