Friday, Oct. 11

sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer begins final Big Ten stretch with Penn State matchup

100824menssoccer_01

If Indiana men’s soccer’s season was a horse race, then it would not have started out of the gates hot. But as they enter the last stretch of the 18-game slate, the Hoosiers are picking up momentum. 

An unbeaten run of four straight matches dating back to Sept. 27 has catapulted this resurgence. Most recently, Indiana’s 3-2 comeback victory over the University of Kentucky on Tuesday earned the Hoosiers their second non-conference win of the season, while providing confidence for a squad returning to crucial Big Ten matches. 

“These guys, they’re in a good flow right now,” head coach Todd Yeagley said postgame Tuesday. “They feel good. They know they’re in striking distance.” 

Only five Big Ten matches remain for the Hoosiers, three against the top six teams in the Big Ten standings. And first on the docket is Penn State, the reigning co-Big Ten regular season champions along and Big Ten Tournament runners up. 

Both squads sit tied for fourth in the Big Ten, with eight points apiece and five back from Ohio State and Maryland at the top. Similarly to Indiana, Penn State started 2-5-0 in 2024 but have rebounded with a 3-0-2 record since Sept. 20. 

“I think they’re just starting to get their form, so I think we’re catching Penn State at not the ideal time,” Yeagley said. 

Penn State lost three critical players from a season before — 2023 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year Peter Mangione, Defensive Player of the Year Femi Awodesu and Goalkeeper of the Year Kris Shakes. 

Mangione finished with 10 goals and four assists in 19 games. Yeagley was quick to mention Mangione’s departure, someone he is not going to miss seeing out there. 

“There are certain guys (where) you’re like, ‘Ok, thank goodness he’s gone,’” Yeagley said. “He’s one of those.” 

With 14 contributions to make up for, sophomore midfielder Caden Grabfelder and graduate student forward Aboubacar Camara each have four goals., while junior forward Christian Dionne has accounted for three assists. 

Conversely, Indiana has benefitted from forward Tommy Mihalic’s recent goalscoring surge. The senior netted two against Kentucky and has accumulated two more in three games before that.

Friday’s match is critical for both squads. Yeagley’s aware of it, and he believes the Nittany Lions are too. 

“They're gonna be tough,” Yeagley said. “They’re all playing for a lot at this moment, and Penn State’s well-coached — they’ll be prepared.” 

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Friday at Bill Armstrong Stadium in Bloomington. Coverage is available on Big Ten+.

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Mateo Fuentes-Rohwer (@mateo_frohwer) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.