Wednesday, Oct. 9

sports softball

Indiana softball handles Indiana State with ease over the weekend

spisoftballfall100724.jpg

Returning from back-to-back 40-win seasons and postseason appearances, Indiana softball continued its success into the pre-season with a 24-4 win over Indiana State University on Oct. 5. 

This 10-inning matchup against Indiana State University demonstrated what this Hoosiers’ team with incoming freshmen is capable of. 

The freshmen productivity for the Hoosiers was high and could foreshadow another successful season. Freshmen pitchers Jenae Berry and Jasmine Reyes got significant time on the mound this weekend. 

“I think the biggest thing that stood out was just the freshmen’s production, and everyone getting in and doing stuff, not just a couple girls,” senior outfielder Taylor Minnick said postgame. “I think it was cool to see that.” 

Indiana State came out strong, scoring two runs in the top of the second inning, pushing out to a 2-0 lead. However, Indiana punched back after junior utility Avery Parker hit a home run in the bottom of the second inning, cutting the score to 2-1.

Despite Indiana State leading the game through the first three innings, the Hoosiers took the lead and control in the fourth. An Indiana State error in the outfield resulted in a run, shifting the momentum to the Hoosiers. 

During the fifth and sixth innings, Indiana continued to add to its lead with a combined six hits, six runs and a home run from senior pitcher Brianna Copeland. However, Indiana State didn’t go away quite yet, as they scored two runs in the sixth inning, pulling the score to 9-4.

After the sixth inning, Indiana State was held scoreless for the remainder of the game, and the Hoosiers turned on the gas. 

A home run by senior infielder Sarah Stone in the eighth inning resulted in three runs. This was followed up by an impressive ninth inning in which the Hoosiers had 11 runs, bringing the final score to 24-4. 

“This is an explosive offense and today was a fun day,” Indiana head coach Shonda Stanton said postgame.

This fall game showed Hoosier fans what to anticipate this upcoming spring season. While the Hoosiers’ win was by a huge margin, Stanton says there's still still work to be done. 

“We still have a lot of work to do, our base running wasn’t good today, we played some shoddy defense at times, but I think overall we have room for improvement and it's going to be fun watching this group grow,” Stanton said.

These preseason fall games build anticipation for the official start of the season in spring. This upcoming season, the Hoosiers look to make team history by making it to the postseason for three consecutive years.