Saturday, Oct. 12

sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball stifled by Minnesota’s defense at the net, falls in three sets

spiuvbrecap101124.jpeg

Indiana volleyball hasn’t defeated Minnesota on the road since 1995. The winless streak continued Friday as the Hoosiers were unable to break through the Golden Gophers’ defense. Despite its fast-paced offense, Indiana was repeatedly denied at the net in the final two sets as Minnesota recorded 10 blocks. 

The Hoosiers kept every set competitive, with Minnesota's largest margin of victory being just seven points. However, Indiana ultimately fell in three straight sets, missing the opportunity to upset a top 15 ranked opponent. 

The Golden Gophers’ defense stood strong the entire game, out blocking the Hoosiers 12-3. Leading the way at the net was Minnesota graduate student middle blocker Phoebe Awoleye, who recorded 10 block assists –– half of which came in the second set. 

Minnesota limited Indiana’s offense to a 19.8% hitting percentage, with junior outside hitter Candela Alonso-Corcelles being the only Hoosier to reach double-digit kills, recording 14. In contrast, Indiana had no answer for Minnesota's offense, as the Golden Gophers hit 35.8% with five players posting at least six kills. 

Head coach Steve Aird described his team’s serving performance against Ohio State as “phenomenal,” citing seven aces and seven errors over four sets. However, against Minnesota, the Hoosiers struggled behind the line, tallying eight errors and just two aces in three sets compared to the Golden Gophers’ four aces matched with only three errors. 

The loss Friday was the Hoosiers’ third against a top 25 ranked team, with the other two against the University of Texas at Austin and Oregon. They’re now 1-5 on the road, with their only win coming in the first game of the season against Kennesaw State University. 

Despite Indiana’s struggles on the road, it boasts a 7-0 record at home and looks to remain undefeated when it hosts No. 3 Penn State at 1 p.m. Sunday inside Wilkinson Hall. 

Follow reporter Parker Rodgers (@parrod153) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.