Sunday, Oct. 27

sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball set to take on Northwestern, both look to break out of Big Ten slumps

spiuvbpreview102624.jpg

After Wisconsin swept Indiana volleyball on Oct. 24, the Hoosiers aim to end their five-game losing streak. They have their best shot yet as they face Northwestern on Sunday. 

The last time Indiana faced a losing streak of this magnitude was in 2022, when it dropped five straight games before snapping the skid in a five-set win over Northwestern. Although the Wildcats narrowly lead the all-time series, 41-39, they’ve had the upper hand lately, winning three of the last four matchups. Indiana’s only recent victory came in that streak-breaking game in 2022. 

Last season, Northwestern finished 15-15 overall and 9-11 in Big Ten play, tying for ninth in the conference. However, this season the Wildcats have struggled, sitting at 4-13 overall with a 2-7 record in conference play — matching Indiana’s record as the two teams are currently tied for 14th in the Big Ten. 

Northwestern head coach Tim Nollan took over the program in 2023 after previous head coach Shane Davis parted ways with the program. Nollan had previously spent eight years at Grand Canyon University.  

One reason the Wildcats haven’t performed up to their standard is due to graduate student setter Alexa Rousseau. Last season, she led the team in assists with 1,061. And while Rousseau still leads the team in assists this season, she only has recorded 372 assists in just 17 games so far. 

Offensively, Northwestern has struggled. It’s dead last in kills in the conference with 733 and 663 assists. The Wildcats also struggle on the defensive end as well, both up at the net and on the floor. They’re 16th in the Big Ten with 2.39 blocks but rank next-to-last with 803 digs.  

Injuries hit Indiana last game, sidelining senior setter Camryn Haworth and junior outside hitter Avry Tatum, who wore a boot on her left foot. While their returns remain uncertain, Indiana head coach Steve Aird hopes both will be back by the season’s second half, beginning Nov. 1 against Rutgers. Freshman setter Sade Ilawole and sophomore setter Luca Fickell, who split time against Wisconsin, may see action again Sunday. 

Indiana will host Northwestern at 7:30 p.m. Sunday at Wilkinson Hall. The match will be televised on the Big Ten Network. 

Follow reporter Parker Rodgers (@parrod153) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.