Thursday, Oct. 24

sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball aims to end four-game losing streak against No. 8 Wisconsin

spiuvbpreview102424.jpeg

After four tough losses, three of which on the road and one at home against No. 3 Penn State, Indiana aims to break its four-game losing streak. But it won’t come easy. 

The Hoosiers take on No. 8 Wisconsin at 7 p.m. Thursday in Wilkinson Hall. With a loss, it would mark the Cream and Crimson’s first five-game losing streak in Big Ten play since 2021. 

While the Hoosiers faced a challenging stretch, playing four top-25 teams in their last five matches and traveling for three of the last four, they’ve had success at home. Indiana boasts a 7-1 record at Wilkinson Hall, with the only loss coming against No. 3 Penn State on Oct. 13. 

Wisconsin is the sixth ranked opponent Indiana has faced this season. The Hoosiers have not had much luck with facing teams in the top 25 as they look to pick up their first win against a nationally ranked opponent. 

The Badgers have accumulated a 17-game winning streak against the Hoosiers, dating to 2012 when Indiana outlasted Wisconsin in four sets in Madison, Wisconsin. The Hoosiers haven’t beaten the Badgers in Bloomington since 2010. 

Wisconsin has had some recent success, earning a 30-4 record and a 17-3 record in Big Ten play last season. The Badgers made a deep NCAA Tournament run to the Final Four, before getting knocked out by the national champions, the University of Texas at Austin. 

The Badgers are finding the same recent success, currently sitting third in the Big Ten recording a 13-4 record and a 7-1 record in conference play so far, with their only loss to then No. 18 Minnesota. 

Indiana will have to contend with the dual threat ability of fifth-year outside hitter Sarah Franklin. Offensively, she leads the Badgers with 279 kills, while also contributing defensively, ranking second on the team with 161 digs. Last year, Franklin earned American Volleyball Coaches Association National Player of the Year honors. 

While Franklin leads Wisconsin on the offensive end, the Badgers’ strength as a team is up at the net defensively. They’re No. 5 in the conference in blocks (183.5) and No. 3 in blocks per set (2.91).  

A win against Wisconsin would be significant for Indiana, as the Hoosiers have fallen to 53rd in the RPI, but beating a top-10 team could push them back into the top 50 –– a key factor for earning an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.  

Indiana will take on Wisconsin at 7 p.m. Thursday inside Wilkinson Hall. The contest will be televised on Fox Sports 1 –– the first-ever appearance on the network for the Hoosiers. 

Follow reporter Parker Rodgers (@parrod153) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.