Monday, Oct. 28

sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer continues losing streak, falls to Nebraska

spiuwsrecap102724

Indiana women’s soccer finally notched its first goal since Sept. 26, but it was not enough as Nebraska’s offense had too much firepower in the 3-1 defeat Sunday.  

The loss marks its fourth straight loss and its sixth in its last seven matches. The result cements the Hoosiers’ record at 6-9-2 overall and 1-9-1 in conference play. The one conference win matches the team’s forgettable 2022 conference tally and leaves the Hoosiers with more to be desired in 2025. 

The Cornhuskers’ offense flashed early and continued to keep the Hoosier defense under immense pressure for the entirety of the match. Nebraska tallied three shots and a corner in the first six minutes as it maintained possession in its attacking half. Luckily for the Hoosiers, senior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg stood tall early in the contest and kept the Hoosiers in the match.  

After the first six minutes of the first half, the Cornhuskers’ offense was rather lackluster, finishing with just one shot for the rest of the half. However, the Cornhuskers were economic with their one shot, converting it into a goal by senior midfielder Sarah Weber on a long-distance shot into the top right-hand corner of the goal. Long-distance goals have been a problem for the Hoosiers’ defense all season as the offense has not converted similar chances. 

The Hoosiers’ offense has struggled, failing to score a goal in their last six matches, but it found a stronger form in Sunday’s match, outshooting the Cornhuskers 13 to 12. 

Indiana fired three shots on goal in the opening half, but they were all denied by Nebraska senior goalkeeper Sami Hauk. Hauk was a decisive factor in the Nebraska victory, finishing the match with six saves to Gerstenberg’s two. 

In the second half, Nebraska extended its lead to two in the 63rd minute with junior midfielder Sadie White finding the back of the net. The Hoosiers responded quickly, ending their scoring drought with freshman forward Layla Sirdah finding junior midfielder Marisa Grzesiak on a goal just one minute after the Cornhusker goal. Before the Hoosiers could build off their momentum and equalize, Weber scored Nebraska its third goal in the 74th minute to put it in firm position for victory. 

As the Hoosiers season came to a close, Indiana mustered up as much offensive strength as it could, putting two shots on goal in the last five minutes of the match. Hauk once again denied any opportunities, and the Hoosiers walked off the pitch for the last time in 2024 with more questions than answers, as they failed to recreate the magic that led to a 12-4-4 record in 2023.  

The Hoosiers finish their season at 6-9-2 and will look to find ways to replace some key players departing the program. Key players such as Gerstenberg, senior midfielder Hope Paredes and graduate senior defender Avery Snead headline the group leaving the roster behind.