Sunday, Oct. 20

sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer goes without shot on goal until 49th minute, drops third straight game

Marisa Grzesiak dribbles the ball downfield during a game on Oct.10, 2024 against Purdue at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The game versus Purdue resulted in a tie 0-0.

Since conference play began for Indiana women’s soccer Sept. 12, it has not found the back of the net for nine out of the 10 Big Ten games this season thus far.  

That streak continued Sunday against Minnesota as it fell 3-0 at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium in Minneapolis. 

Indiana struggled offensively and could not generate chances throughout the match against the Golden Gophers, while Minnesota scored in the 13th minute to take a 1-0 lead. The first opportunity on frame came from Hoosier senior defender Camille Hamm as she fired a shot on goal in the 49th minute.  

The defensive pressure was present for the Hoosiers as they contained Minnesota to only one goal in the first half while they allowed eight shots. Led by graduate defender Avery Snead, they maintained a strong force as they beat the Golden Gophers to most 50/50 balls. Despite constantly disrupting many of Minnesota’s attacks and regaining possessions through interceptions and tackles, Indiana allowed Minnesota to put up 17 shots.  

In the midfield, the Hoosiers struggled to capitalize on the opportunities created by their defensive prowess. Even though there were moments to create meaningful scoring chances, the midfield could not connect with the forwards. Minnesota’s defense was compact and limited Indiana’s ability to maintain possession. Once again, the Hoosiers had a hard time with spacing on the pitch as the ball was congested, especially in the attacking third.  

While Indiana finished with eight shots, seven came in the second half. It also did not have many set piece opportunities, racking up seven compared to Minnesota’s 20. Sophomore midfielder Elle Britt led the Hoosiers with three shots as sophomore midfielder Kennedy Neighbors had two.  

Early in the season the Hoosiers have showed promise in their overall play but have been unable to score consistently as they now extended a troubling six-game scoreless streak with just one game left this season. Freshman forward Layla Sirdah and Neighbors have had difficulties creating clear-cut opportunities. Whether it is due to miscommunications on the pitch, a lack of clinical finishing or stout opposing defenses, the attack has remained stifled.  

The win for Minnesota earned the program a berth in the Big Ten Tournament, while the Hoosiers, 17th in the conference, don’t make the qualifying top 10. make the tournament. 

Sitting at 6-8-2 and 1-8-1 in conference play, Indiana will finish off the regular season at 2:05 p.m. Oct. 27 against Nebraska in Lincoln, Nebraska.  

Follow reporters Sam Elster (@samelster1) and Matt Rudella (@mattrudellaIDS) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.