Tuesday, Oct. 15

arts iu auditorium

Haunting sounds and silent screams: Dennis James' Halloween performance celebrates Edgar Allan Poe

entdennisjamespreview101524.jpg

Dennis James Hosts Halloween, a longstanding Halloween tradition in Bloomington, is returning at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 17 at the IU Auditorium. 

Dennis James, a world-renowned cinematic organist and IU alumnus, will once again host his annual Halloween performance, this time honoring Edgar Allan Poe's macabre compositions. The event will include live music performed on the IU Auditorium's historic 4,543 pipe organ to accompany silent films and radio dramas.  

The evening will begin with the short film “Edgar Allen Poe,” which illustrates how the writer was inspired to write "The Raven" to help his ailing wife. The event continues with a live reproduction of the 1940s radio play “Inner Sanctum” by IU Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance students. They will stage Poe's story, “The Tell-Tale Heart,” about a man who hears every sound imaginable, including those that do not exist. 

The featured presentation will be James' live organ accompaniment to the silent picture “The Avenging Conscience” (1915), based on Poe's “The Tell-Tale Heart” and poem "Annabelle Lee.”  

“Dennis James is a true IU legend, and every year, he brings Bloomington’s favorite spooky tradition to life," IU Auditorium Executive Director Maria Talbertin said in a press release ."This event has become a cornerstone of our Halloween season, and we’re thrilled to once again host an evening that’s equal parts haunting and mesmerizing." 

In typical Halloween spirit, audience members are encouraged to dress up and join in the B97 Costume Parade. Before the show, participants will parade across the stage for a chance to win a $100 Pizza X gift card and tickets to future IU Auditorium performances.