Tuesday, Oct. 22

campus administration

IU Jacobs School of Music professor appointed as Whitten’s faculty fellow

cafacultyfellow102224.jpg

Marietta Simpson will serve as the inaugural faculty fellow in IU President Pamela Whitten’s office, according to an Oct. 21 IU press release. 

Simpson is a Distinguished Rudy Professor of Music in the Jacobs School of Music and has taught at IU since 2005. She has served as IU’s faculty athletics representative — singing the national anthem at various IU sporting events — and served as president of the Bloomington Faculty Council from 2020 to 2023. 

She earned a bachelor’s degree in music education from Temple University in 1981 and a master’s degree in music from State University of New York at Binghamton in 1983.  

“It is with a deep sense of respect for my Indiana University colleagues that I have accepted this role of Faculty Fellow in the Office of the President,” Simpson said in the release. “I look forward to working alongside President Whitten in building sustainable bridges of communication and understanding where my colleagues’ interests and perspectives are represented.” 

The IU Board of Trustees approved Whitten’s request for the position in June, along with reinstating the IU Bloomington chancellor position. Applications for the faculty fellow position opened in August. 

Simpson will serve as a liaison, facilitating communication and collaboration between faculty and senior leaders and providing leadership for university projects — including IU’s 2030 strategic plan — according to the release. 

She will also participate in senior leadership meetings, consult with Whitten and work with the University Faculty Council, a body of elected members who represent university faculty. 

“Marietta Simpson’s service to IU, including as former president of the Bloomington Faculty Council, will provide helpful insights to my administration and ensure faculty perspectives are well represented,” Whitten said in the release. “I look forward to working closely with Marietta in this new role as we work to build on IU’s reputation for excellence.” 

Simpson will serve for two years beginning in January 2025.