Friday, Oct. 18

city crime & courts

Alleged fondling, attempted rape reported at Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity house

Crime Filler

Editor’s Note: This story includes mention of sexual violence or assault. Resources are available here.   

A security guard hired by Tau Epsilon Phi allegedly fondled three women and attempted to rape one of them during a fraternity event Oct. 17, according to a crime notice sent to students. 

Fondling is defined by IU as nonconsensual touching of the private body parts of another person for sexual gratification. Rape is defined as nonconsensual penetration of the private body parts with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, no matter how slight.  

The suspect is unknown to IU Police Department but was described as a male between the ages of 18 and 30 years old. The security company hired by the fraternity was a third-party vendor on the list of approved companies by IU. The university has initiated removal of the vendor from the list due to the allegations.  

IUPD Public Information Officer Hannah Skibba said the information sent in the crime notice was everything available to release at this time. IUPD has requested anyone with information on the alleged incident to call IUPD at 812-855-4111. 

A list of resources is available here if you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment or abuse.   

More information on the period commonly known as the “Red Zone” can be found here.