Wednesday, Oct. 2

sports men's soccer

Collins Oduro’s breakthrough performance powers Indiana men’s soccer over Wisconsin

spiumssidebar100124.jpg

Collins Oduro had been waiting for his moment. 

The sophomore forward netted five goals and contributed two assists in 2023 for Indiana men’s soccer, while also starting all 24 matches. However, any momentum heading into his second season faltered as an ankle injury dulled the beginning of his campaign. 

But his moment finally came Tuesday night against No. 8 Wisconsin, providing two goals to propel the Hoosiers over the Badgers 3-2. 

His performance Tuesday night was a breakthrough for Oduro, but it had been foreshadowed over his previous two matches. Against Maryland on Sept. 20 and Ohio State on Sept. 27, Oduro produced outings showcasing his energetic work rates, blistering speed and tight dribbling. 

The only quality missing for the forward was arguably the most important one — goal scoring. 

Before the Ohio State match, Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley acknowledged Oduro needed to clean up his finishing and final pass in the attacking third. More specifically, Yeagley discussed how Oduro could benefit from lessening the power on his shots and maintaining a “more passing to goal mindset.” 

It only took 12 minutes against the Badgers for Oduro to show he had taken his coach’s advice. 

Oduro received a pass from senior forward Sam Sarver at the top of the box, and rather than smashing the ball, he opened his hips to place it into the far corner of the net. His shot failed to reach its intended target, but thanks to a deflection, it nestled just past the near post for the first goal of the game. 

For the remainder of the first half and much of the second, Oduro stayed quiet. Indiana conceded a goal nine minutes after Oduro’s finish, but senior forward Tommy Mihalic responded with a quality finish four minutes into the second frame –– his sixth goal of the season. 

Wisconsin continued the frenetic pace of the match with an equalizer in the 62nd minute, but it was short-lived, lasting only two minutes and nine seconds before Indiana regained the lead. 

It began from nothing, stemming from a typical Oduro hustle play that has become commonplace over the past three games. Pouncing on a misplaced pass in the Wisconsin half, Oduro took the ball in stride and carried it into the final third. Taking his defender head on, he cut inside onto his preferred right foot. 

Oduro had been in situations like this before. Most recently against Maryland, his attempt after cutting inside had sailed past the post, nearly going out for a corner. Most of his shots had been wayward, so the outcome almost seemed inevitable. 

But this opportunity was different.  

Oduro curled the ball into the far corner, producing enough placement and power to beat the sprawling freshman goalkeeper Matisse Hébert. The goal proved to be the eventual winner, punctuating Indiana’s first ranked win of the season. 

Wisconsin was the second of a series of tests for Indiana, with Washington next up at 7 p.m. on Friday in Bloomington. Goals have been hard to come by for the Hoosiers, but with a more controlled, less powerful shot arsenal, Oduro provides Indiana with new life in the attack.

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Mateo Fuentes-Rohwer (@mateo_frohwer) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.