Friday, Oct. 4

sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer prepares for home bout with Washington

spiumspreview010324.jpg

Indiana men’s soccer was 2-3-4 in August and September. Little seemed to be going right for the Hoosiers, and their streak of 37 straight NCAA Tournament appearances seemed in jeopardy.  

But that was before. Now, it’s October — Indiana’s month. 

Since 2021, the Hoosiers have had a 17-4-5 record in the month of October. And against No. 8 Wisconsin, they continued their winning ways, defeating the Badgers 3-2 on the road to secure a crucial three points. 

Sitting at 2-1-1 in the Big Ten, Indiana took four points on the road against arguably its two toughest opponents, Wisconsin and Ohio State. But the challenging stretch of games is not over –– it’s only just beginning. 

Friday’s matchup features Washington, a new inclusion to the reshaped Big Ten in 2024. In the series history, the Hoosiers hold a 4-2 overall record, but they have not defeated the Huskies since 2001. 

Last season, the squads met in Bloomington for the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic, with Washington earning a 1-0 victory. This time around, the match will be far more consequential as both teams are searching for three points in a loaded Big Ten conference. 

“It’s a big, big match,” Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley said Thursday. “They're going to be always a team in the Big Ten that's going to bring a lot of quality, and at the same time, they’re a team I think will always be in the hunt for the top group of the Big 10.” 

Goals galore 

Indiana struggled to find the back of the net to begin the year. Seven goals was its second-worst mark through eight matches in over a decade, only better than last season’s six goals. 

But against their fiercest competitors, the Hoosiers played up to the level of two top-10 opponents, snagging four points in the process. 

A reaction to this drastic change in goalscoring fortune could be to attribute it to luck. Indiana’s second goal against the Buckeyes came off a deflection that fell to the feet of senior forward Tommy Mihalic, who had to only pass the ball into an open net. Against the Badgers, sophomore forward Collins Oduro scored the first goal thanks in part to a deflection off a Badger defender. 

However, Yeagley disagrees. He’s repeatedly mentioned his team’s need to stay composed on the final pass, while also finding the right “club” to finish chances –– one that is not too hard and not too soft. 

With his mindset, the two goals against Ohio State and Wisconsin were not merely luck but expected outcomes from positive changes in play. 

Mihalic’s finish only occurred because Oduro calmly found senior forward Sam Sarver at the top of the 18-yard box, whose shot then ricocheted in the box and found Mihalic. And for Oduro’s goal against the Badgers, a composed finish rather than a rifled shot is what caused the deflection that helped the ball reach the back of the net. 

Fullback versatility 

Sophomore left back Alex Barger started every game last season on a squad that won the Big Ten double. But with the emergence of redshirt sophomore defender Breckin Minzey, Barger’s position is not a guarantee each game. 

After Barger started five games to begin the year, Yeagley added Minzey into the rotation, and he proceeded to start the next four games. But an injury against Ohio State forced Barger back into the fold, and after a solid performance against Wisconsin, Yeagley’s now established the rotation as a “week-by-week" decision. 

“Both have done well,” Yeagley said. “We’re assessing what we’re going to be doing here for Friday, but yeah, they’re both playing well, which we need. You need the depth from the back line, and we’re confident both can do the job.” 

With the continuous adjustment at fullback, Yeagley has relied on junior transfer Quinton Elliot’s versatility. Coming from the University of Louisville, Elliot has started every match this season, although not always in the same position. 

With Barger on his typical left side of the defense, Elliot has played on the right. But when the less experienced Minzey has gotten the nod, Elliot seamlessly slides into the left back spot. 

Providing both a threat in the attack and a stable presence in defense, Elliot has been a “fun kid to coach” for Yeagley while also providing a great fit for the squad. 

“He’s been a great addition,” Yeagley said. “There’s still a lot more ahead for him. He’s got a big future.” 

Meet the Huskies 

Washington began the season with three top 25 matches, coming away with a win, draw and loss. Barring a defeat to Michigan State, the Huskies have yet to stumble as Big Ten play has begun, securing a win over then-No. 20 Northwestern and draws versus then-No. 22 Michigan and No. 8 Wisconsin. 

Goals are commonplace in Washington’s matches, but they rarely come in bunches. No Husky game has featured more than three goals, and before its 0-0 draw with the Badgers, no match had gone scoreless either. 

Washington’s goal scoring is spread throughout the squad, as nine players have scored but only two have more than one goal. Senior midfielder Chris Meyers has yet to score, but his five assists lead the team. 

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. Friday at Bill Armstrong Stadium in Bloomington. Coverage will be available on Big Ten+.

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Mateo Fuentes-Rohwer (@mateo_frohwer) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.