Wednesday, Oct. 2

IU Memorial Stadium introduces new sensory wall

spsensorywall.JPG

IU Memorial Stadium has added a new accessibility measure for fans with autism. A nonprofit organization supporting people with autism, Damar and IU Sports Properties have teamed together to introduce a new sensory wall and sensory bags with noise-canceling headphones, fidget toys, snacks and more for games to be more inclusive for all fans. 

The sensory wall features bright colors, sounds, and textures to provide a sensory reset for those with autism or sensory disorders. IU will soon add a wall with over 10,000 Legos in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors for fans to access.  

The collaboration of IU Sports Properties and Damar is what Damar Chief Strategy Officer Dr. Jenny Peters-Reece hopes is the “start of a conversation.” By creating showcases like the sensory wall in different parts of Indiana, Damar hopes that developmental disabilities will be as normalized and destigmatized as physical disabilities.  

“It's very commonplace to you to see a wheelchair ramp or handicap parking signs and things like that,” Peters-Reece said. “That's because somebody advocated for those so many years ago. And that's the early work that you're seeing today with inclusive spaces in our communities.”  

Peters-Reece said Damar aims to give children and adults with autism and intellectual, developmental, and behavioral disabilities a chance to enjoy everyday activities, while also being cost-effective.  

“Our goals are not around getting more clients,” Peters-Reece said. “It's about educating the public about inclusion and creating inclusive spaces for the community in the community, for, you know, people like our clients and their families.”  

The nonprofit organization hopes to add more sensory walls to famous Indiana spots, such as Lucas Oil Stadium and Victory Field, in addition to their dozens of sensory walls across Indiana.  

Despite the wall being a resource for fans with autism and sensory disorders, Damar and IU Sports Properties hope that all fans will want to engage in the wall. For example, people of all ages with anxiety or mood disorders can also use it. 

IU Best Buddies President Cecelia Meneghini advocates daily for the inclusion for those with autism and sensory disorders through different outlets. 

“It's not something that takes any other opportunities away from anybody else,” Meneghini said. “It's just a helpful addition to help those people that have different sensory feelings than others.” 

Adria Nassim, an IU student with autism, shared her experience with attending sports games. 

“Sporting events may often present as a challenging environment for those on the autism spectrum due to the high amount of noise and large crowds,” Nassim said. “I am much more likely to watch games at home, than I am to actually go in person because of these factors.” 

Nassim said the sensory wall would allow her to finally enjoy sports games without worrying about a sensory overload and, enabling her to have fun with her peers. 

“I applaud IU Athletics for doing more to welcome families and visitors affected by autism and related disorders in Bloomington and beyond,” Nassim said. 

Fans can use the new IU Memorial Stadium sensory wall anytime at the Hoosier Red Zone and get their sensory bag with noise-canceling headphones, fidgets and snacks to use during the game at the Guest Services counter. 

Damar has resources on their website for those who want more information on how to advocate for those with sensory disorders or autism.