Monday, Sept. 30

sports women's soccer

Shorthanded Indiana women’s soccer can’t build off momentum in loss vs. Washington

091924womenssoccer08

Indiana women’s soccer went back to its previous performances in Sunday’s match, being shutout for the third time in its last four games, just two days after notching three goals in Friday’s match versus Oregon. The loss led to a weekend road trip split of 1-1, and a conference record of 1-4 as the team now searches for answers to turn things around. 

The first half did not consist of much success for the Hoosiers, but rather fouling the other team. Indiana tallied seven fouls in the first half and two yellow cards assigned to senior midfielder Hope Paredes and sophomore midfielder Elle Britt. The Huskies returned the favor with seven fouls of their own throughout the match in a physical brand of soccer. 

Fortunately for the Hoosiers, the Huskies were unable to capitalize on these opportunities thanks to two critical saves from senior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg. Gerstenberg was called upon throughout the game and delivered, finishing with five saves on 11 shots after not needing to do much on Friday, recording zero saves and giving up one goal on five shots in the win. The Hoosiers were unable to reward Gerstenberg and the defense’s efforts, as they recorded zero shots in the first half and just three shots for the entire match. 

The beginning of the second half was the Hoosiers’ best chance of recording a goal, with two shots coming in the first ten minutes of the second half — one off target and one saved by junior Washington goalkeeper Mia Hamant. The offense cooled off for the rest of the game, totaling one more shot and two corners for the remainder of the match. When Indiana had possession, it was only in its attacking half 41% of the time. 

A key moment to keep the team alive was a goal-line volley save by senior defender Camille Hamm to keep the score deadlocked. However, the Hoosiers weren’t able to withstand the offensive pressure, leading to Paredes receiving a second yellow card for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity by tugging an offensive player on a fast break just two minutes after Hamm’s brilliant effort, leading to a red card and her ejection from the match. Gerstenberg was able to save the Hoosiers once again with a save on the ensuing penalty kick to keep the score tied.  

Playing a man down from Paredes’ red card proved too much for an already stale Hoosier offense to overcome, and it felt like only a matter of time before the Huskies put one in the back of the net, as they continued to attack the goal in the second half. Gerstenberg was finally bested in the 82nd minute by junior midfielder Kelsey Branson who struck a shot from the edge of the box to the top corner of the net to seal the victory for the Huskies. 

The Hoosiers will continue their road schedule and look to find the answers on the offensive end against Iowa at 2 p.m. EST, Oct. 6, at the Iowa Soccer Complex.

Follow reporters Sam Elster (@samelster1) and Matt Rudella (@mattrudellaIDS) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.