Sunday, Oct. 6

Schwarber, Herrin set to compete in MLB postseason

SPORTS-KYLE-SCHWARBER-WALKOFF-HR-BEATS-1-PHI.jpg

A pair of former Indiana University baseball standouts are set to lead their teams as the MLB postseason gets into full swing this weekend.  

Philadelphia Phillies designated hitter Kyle Schwarber and Cleveland Guardians relief pitcher Tim Herrin look to build upon their successful regular seasons when their teams begin postseason play Saturday.  

Schwarber played a pivotal role as the DH for the Phillies this season, propelling the team to a 95-67 record and first place in the National League East.  

Spending most of the season as the leadoff hitter, Schwarber slashed a .248/.366/.485 line through 150 games, with an MLB record 17 leadoff home runs. The former Hoosier set career highs in hits and led the Phillies with 38 home runs during the regular season despite missing some time due to injury.   

Schwarber's success at the plate dates all the way back to his playing days for the Hoosiers. He was instrumental in Indiana’s 2013 College World Series run, batting .366 on the season. It remains the only CWS appearance in school history. 

In 2014, Schwarber made IU history again, becoming the highest draft pick to ever come out of Indiana baseball after the Chicago Cubs selected him fourth overall. Two years later, Schwarber helped the Cubs break their 108-year World Series drought, batting .412 in five World Series games.  

Schwarber and the Phillies are facing high expectations this postseason after finishing with the second-best record in the National League and making their third consecutive trip to the playoffs.  

Their postseason journey began this weekend as Schwarber looks to power this high scoring offense Saturday in Philadelphia against the New York Mets. Game two of the series will kick off Sunday on FS1.  

Another Indiana baseball star, Tim Herrin, will take the mound for the Cleveland Guardians as the team begins its postseason journey.  

When reliever Sam Hentges missed the beginning of the season with a finger injury, the Guardians looked to Herrin for a breakout year. In his second season in the majors, Herrin delivered. The lefty posted a 1.92 ERA across 75 appearances in relief for the Guardians. This number is a significant improvement from his 5.53 ERA across 23 appearances in his rookie season. Herrin sparked a bullpen that finished among the top three in ERA this season.  

Before being drafted by Cleveland in the 29th round of the 2018 MLB draft, Herrin played three seasons at Indiana, posting a 3.40 ERA in 41 college appearances. He ranks top 20 in career ERA for Indiana pitchers since 2000.  

Herrin and the Guardians began their 2024 postseason debut Saturday in Cleveland in a matchup with the Detroit Tigers. All games in the series will be televised on TBS.