Tuesday, Oct. 15

OPINION: Breaking barriers: Why language mastery is key to independence and growth

opspeaking4languages100624-illo

Indiana University is the place for many firsts in people’s lives — first time living alone, first time dating, first time having independence. 

What is independence to you? Independence is a broad concept, but for most people, it means no one telling you what to do, making a lot of money, or traveling wherever and whenever. 

However, one thing that most people don’t consider when they’re thinking about independence is language. 

Language is the cornerstone of success. Think about when you applied to IU, or when you asked your partner out, or later in life when you negotiated a better deal for your salary—these very important moments in life are defined by how well you communicate. 

When people think about self-improvement, they often focus on their appearance or public communication skills. But to truly excel in life, learning new languages is key. Being multilingual opens doors — to new worlds, new cultures, different financial opportunities, and deeper human connections. Personally, my ability to speak four languages enriched my life; I met my best friend because of English, took piano lessons in French and understood Latin American history at a deeper level reading directly from the sources. And, of course, I joined Indiana University. 

Language has deeply affected my family’s history. My grandfather was born in 1932 on a plantation in rural Brazil. His father, an illiterate seasonal worker, struggled to support the family after his mother died during childbirth. 

My grandfather was adopted by a family who owned several plantations. They would never treat him as one of their children, but they intended to educate him to be a loyal and obedient overseer. 

My grandfather, who wanted to be a lawyer, decided to leave his adoptive family behind. Though he was rejected by Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul Law School on the grounds that he was Black, he still landed a job as an accounting controller — something that was unheard of in 1950s Brazil. His education in arithmetic and literature helped him climb the economic ladder. The son of an illiterate, destitute sharecropper held a respectable job at Viação Aérea Rio-Grandense, (Varig). 

My father grew up in project housing in Porto Alegre during the 1970s. Thanks to strong determination and encouragement from my grandfather, he managed to go to a private preparatory school, which later made him the first person in my family to go to college. 

Now a metallurgical engineer, seeking more opportunities, he realized that success and language walk together. Studying English during the weekends, he secured a postgraduate position in Germany. 

Emboldened by his education in Germany, he got accepted into a PhD program in Brazil. Thanks to the recommendation letters he got from his German peers, he realized that language was crucial to his success. 

He eventually finished his PhD, and today, he is an entrepreneur responsible for green hydrogen fertilizer factories that help feed thousands of people. His success story — and my grandfather’s before him — demonstrates that language isn’t just about communication; it’s about unlocking opportunities that can transform lives. 

While my grandfather only spoke Portuguese and my father’s English is not perfect, I stand on their shoulders. From my grandfather, I learned the value of patience and determination in the face of challenges, and from my father, I learned the importance of education and the willingness to adapt quickly to new situations.  

Growing up around my grandfather and father, I witnessed firsthand the power of adaptability, perseverance, and education. Surrounded by their stories and wisdom, I began studying English at age 3 and eventually became fluent by age 11. My father encouraged me to learn more languages, which ultimately led me to study piano and earn a silver medal at the Brazilian Olympiad of Astronautics and Astrophysics. 

After learning four different languages, I’m assured that knowing a language is much more than having something that looks good on your resume. Learning a language teaches you resilience, patience, humility, and gives you a valuable cultural repertoire. 

It’s clear that these skills are crucial to climbing the social ladder that you and your family have been going through. It’s clear that Indiana University, being so culturally diverse, is one of the best places on the planet to do that.  

Embrace this challenge, break the barriers, and remember to not seek money first but instead, seek knowledge and cultural experiences that will truly propel you forward with life-changing opportunities. 

Eduardo Merecci Machado (he/him) is a sophomore studying neuroscience.